does 1st gen Intel iMac require original KB?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Trekker2014, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Trekker2014 macrumors newbie

In doing some research to get my 1st gen Intel iMac running, you need to have the original keyboard that came with it. Is this true because I've tried one from s Mac Pro and it doesn't seem to work with it. I would have thought any usb apple kb would have worked with but I guess I was wrong.

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Any USB keyboard should work, even third party ones.

3. jwhazel macrumors regular

Any keyboard will technically work once it boots into the OS. The issue of having the original keyboard on the older iMacs is that the newer aluminum keyboards would not initialize prior to the boot prompt. So you weren't able to do things like PRAM reset or boot to a different disk without the old keyboard. Not sure if thats what you're referring to but I had never found a workaround for this.

If its not working once you boot into an OS, you either have a hosed keyboard, hosed usb port, or hosed OS (which used to happen a lot with people hacking usb kext's in order to jailbreak phones).

4. Trekker2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I'm trying to do is install Leopard onto a 1st gen Intel iMac and I borrowed a new apple kb from a Mac Pro to do it with but none of the keys responded. I've since tried a windows kob on it and was able to eject a cd with it using F12 so I know at least that USB port does work.

----------

It's just that I read in another forum about someone else having trouble getting another apple kb to work on it and having all sorts of problems because of it. What solved all of his problems was getting the original white keyboard that was designed to use with it. This is what I was wondering if it had to have the original kb for it.