Does 2.0.2 fix the long backup issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I've been backing up for 2 hours and it's only half done till I update.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Mine has been quicker. Just backed up in around 2-3 minutes. Before 2.0.2 it would take > 30 min.

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Mine takes about 30 seconds now. Extremely happy with the times.:)

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

people people people. this is exactly why apple does these tiny incremental updates...because word gets out in the first 10 minutes that "this is snappier, that is fixed". it makes the customer think something must be better, and the stockholders, and the press. don't rush to judgement. of COURSE your backup is faster; you just did a friggin backup when you installed the update! come back in 3 days and see if it's still 90 seconds. if it is, I will eat a knit cap.

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Well the last half of the backup took not so long. And now I've been backing up for a half hour and I'm about 40% done.

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Seems like it to me. With 2.0.2 installed, backup now takes less than half the amount of time it used to take. Surely good news. :)

7. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I'm scratching my head to how some backups can take more than 30mins - 1hr? :confused: I feel really bad that this is happening.

My longest backup ever was around 5 mins. The entire process from dowloading the latest 2.0.2 fw, iPhone backup and updating the firmware this morning took no more than 15 mins. My iPhone 3G is not jailbroken either.

My stats:
    - 38 3rd party apps installed
    - 908 songs
    - 34 photos
    - 1 email
    - 14.6GB used / 8.9GB free
    - 112 contacts

Apart from the laggy text input which was fixed with 2.0.1, I haven't had any other issues ie. 3G reception, dropped calls... other than some buggy apps installed.

8. kane4fire macrumors member

Backups are taking just as long as 2.0.1. You probably just backed up and then backed up again without any changes.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The first backup after upgrading to 2.0.2 took about 90 minutes.

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

After the update, I played Aurora Feint (in the interest of science ;)), updated my calendar and contacts, added another app (I have over 40), and updated my YouNote app. Then I did a sync, to see what would happen.

It only took about 5 minutes.

In the interest of full disclosure, With 2.0 and 2.0.1, my syncs have taken anywhere from 10 minutes to over 2.5 hours, with no rhyme or reason. I sync very often, at least once a day, and I would go from a short backup to a long one or vice versa with no change to my iPhone.

11. mappyman macrumors regular

Long backups happen when you change a lot of the applications.... not (mp3 or video).

If it really fixed the the backups test it by:

Deleting all your free programs from within your iphone.
    Do a backup.
    Disconnect the phone from the computer.
    Now download about 25+ applications (FREE ones) from the store on the phone.
    Try a sync.

I bet it still takes a long time backing up because a lot has changed.

12. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

it's still as slow as it always was. People must just be backing up, then backing up exactly the same thing.

The reason backups take so long is because error messages are sent in the back up over to Apple. So every time your iPhone crashes or displays a bug, the backup reports this to Apple. Now imagine every iPhone in the world doing this. This causes traffic and so 90% of the backup time is your data waiting in a queue to be sent in to Apple.

It's all down to a little 'check box' that was selected the very first time your iPhone was connected, saying you'd like to send your data to help improve the iPhone.