Does 2.1 firmware break video out on 1st Gen iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tandaman, Sep 19, 2008.

1. tandaman macrumors newbie

I bought a AV cable (not from apple, from a here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14395)

Anyways, I know this isn't an "Apple" accessory, but it worked absolutely flawlessly with my ipod touch on the 2.0.2 firmware. It has the authentication chip and everything, just like the Apple cable. It was a great deal for 10 bucks.

But tonight, i updated to 2.1 (mostly because I was sick of the half hour backups and I wanted to try genius). Now, the video out doesn't work! A video will play on the TV for about 10 seconds, but then it "crashes" back to the video menu.

Any one else notice this? I'm not too ticked, since it was only 10 bucks, but it is annoying. Especially if this is something apple is doing just to force customers into buying their (way overpriced) 50 dollar cable.

2. shoelessone macrumors 6502

3. BennyK macrumors 6502

I've never heard of any cables except for the Apple cable working on this.

4. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

I have the apple cables, and after I installed 2.1 it won't output video for me either. Sound outputs, but not video.

On that topic, how can one switch back to 2.0?

5. tandaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, even an with an apple cable...

Sound also outputs for me just fine. Even the sound of the video will output. Just no video. Argh.

6. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

No it DOES NOT!!!

Video out through the dock connector still works!!!

BTW- the ones that go through the headphone jack never worked.

Edit: FYI- I'm using the Apple ones (dock connector), which work totally fine with an old one running 2.1 and my new one running 2.1.1!!!

7. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

Anyone know if anything is being done about it?

Additionally, is it possible to e-mail Apple support directly about this. I have been fishing through their support page and have found no mention of this, nor can I find any semblance of an e-mail address with which to contact someone. I guess i'll be calling tomorrow.

8. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

OK- what cords are you guys using? Mine works just fine, and if you are using the ones that go through the headphone jack- THOSE NEVER WORKED!!!

Edit: FYI- I'm using the Apple ones (dock connector), which work totally fine with an old one running 2.1 and my new one running 2.1.1!!!

9. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

10. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Which one? Where does it connect- the headphone jack or the dock?

The one that hooks up through the headphone jack never worked with the iPod Touch as far as I know. If it is the dock- I don't know what to tell you, mine seems to be working just fine.

11. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

As far as I understand it the Apple brand AV Cable only connects to the 'dock', which is the one that I have.

12. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

And it doesn't work? Really? That's amazing! Mine is fine, so it seems to be localized to very few people. Are you sure it worked with the older firmware with the same cables and TV/device you are inputting to?

I hooked up to a really, really old TV once that for some reason worked with PAL instead of NTSC for video. Try going to Settings>Video>Tv Signal and switching it.

If it still doesn't work, I have no explanation, and you should go to the Apple store and email customer support right away, sorry I couldn't be of more help :(.

Edit: Just to be sure, your cables look exactly like this?

[​IMG]

13. tandaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, my cable looks just like that. It connects through the dock, not the headphone jack. However, like I said, my cable did not come from Apple, it came from somewhere else, though it has the authentication chip that is required for a cable like this to work with iPhone/iPod Touches.

But anyways, it worked ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC before the 2.1 update. I'm at a loss with what to do. I've tried about everything, and I cannot get it to work.

So are me and kingBLAOW really the only two users this is affecting?

14. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

My guess is 2.1 breaks non-Apple AV cords, so everyone who purchased them is affected. Sorry dude.

In other news, the first Audio recording app for the iPod Touch was just released, and it works great! (2G Touch only and you must have a headset)
    Link: Note2Self

15. tandaman thread starter macrumors newbie

This wouldn't surprise me one bit, but kingBLAOW's cable IS from Apple, so this is still kind of a mystery to me.

16. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Ah, but he hasn't said he has the dock connector one from Apple (they used to sell one that went in the headphone jack for old iPods).

17. tandaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes he has:

So the mystery continues.

18. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Yeah, missed that. Hmmm. Maybe he has one that he thought was from Apple, but wasn't really?

Where are you kingBLAOW?!?!?

19. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

Yes, I have the Apple Composite AV Cable.

Yes, It is the one that plugs into the dock.

Yes, I am sure it is the Apple one because I bought it at an Apple Store in which the product was in a black box with Apple logos all over it (see below).

[​IMG]

It was working perfectly before the firmware update, and I know it has to be the firmware update that messed things up because I hadn't done anything to the ipod except update the firmware. On Friday I put a new movie on my 1st Gen Touch. I had to monkey around with the formatting when I converted it to an .mp4 so I immediately hooked it up to one of my TV's to see how it would output. Everything worked just great. I turned the unit off and went out on Friday night. Saturday morning I wake up and install the firmware. After installation I turn the unit off. That evening I bring my Touch to my gf's to watch said movie. It doesn't work, just the problems I (and others) have outlined above. So I figure it has to be her tv. I come home and it does the same thing on mine. I made sure all the settings were correct on the Touch, and when that failed I tried just playing around with settings (ie. selecting PAL, when it should be NTSC), all to no avail. So I am pretty confident that it is the firmware.

I am going to test a few other things today though. I'm going to:

a) remove the movie from the Touch and resync it to the device. Maybe the fact that it was already on my Touch when I ran the firmware update somehow screwed things up.

b) totally wipe (I suppose the proper terminology is 'Restore') my touch, and see if that works.

Failing all that i'll have to phone the tech support I suppose.

20. golu macrumors newbie

Same problem - Please suggest solution

I have the same problem with my ipod touch after updating to 2.1 in ipod touch.
    The video stops after around 30 secs (average).
    Tried everything including re-ripping videos in lower bit rates too.
    However then googled and found this forum.
    ODD that no one else seems to have reported this in gen 1 ipod touch.
    And the same AV cable was playing videos easily on my previous version 1.1.4
    The cable looks EXACTLY like the one that has been shown on this forum.
    Please let us know the solution (other than going back to previous version of firmware),
    Regards

21. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

I have opened up a support forum post (here) on Apple's Support page. Hopefully that should see some fruitful results shortly. If not, i'll give the support line a call on Monday.

22. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info all - keep us posted if you don't mind!

I'm mainly currious because as I may have already mentioned I'm in Cambodia at the moment and would like to get an AV cable but the Apple cables are near impossible to find and cost 60-80 bucks, "fake" cables are easier to find and can be had for 15-20 bucks.

23. tandaman thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, 2.2 hasn't fixed this. Lame Apple. Lame.