Does 3.5mm Adapter Support All Headphone Functions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mac 128, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mac 128, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Do we know yet whether the 3.5mm headphone jack will support all functions of the Apple 3.5mm earbuds, from microphone to Siri, to built-in controls for volume, take/end calls, skip tracks, etc.?

Also, is it compatible with non-audio equipment like credit card readers?

2. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Those functions are controlled by what are known as "poles" on the audio jack - basically, the lines that appear on the 3.5 mm jack, the newer headphones with additional functions are known as 4-pole and will have 3 lines on them:

[​IMG]

Standard headphones only have two of those black "lines". Ones with 3 "lines" have additional functions like mic and volume control. The adapter will accommodate reading this extra "conductor"/pole of the jack, so yes, it I'll work. Picture below from the conference clearly shows a 4-pole headphone jack:

[​IMG]

3. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yes thanks for pointing that out. It's subtle, and no guarantee that the adapter has an ADC to convert microphone and other analogue signals, but that photo is much better than if it only demonstrated a 3-conductor plug.

I've seen several articles confirming that Square's card reader will work, so I believe you're right:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...ck-what-does-it-mean-for-square/#1f9721ea5be4

The reason I was concerned is because the Lightning dock does not support audio input (though that is not easily discernible), and that's what Phil Schiller was recommending people use to listen and charge, prior to the Belkin adapter being introduced. Granted he was responding to people who only wanted to listen to music, but that just adds to the overall tone deafness of Phil's response since one of the main ways people use the phone in this way, is making calls sitting at a desk while charging.