Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
So here:

I2F3425.png

It looks like I could enable my magic track pad so that I could do a 3 finger drag to move a window around. When I enable this, absolutely nothing happens when I do a 3 finger drag. It simply doesn't work and doesn't move the window around. Does anyone know what's up?

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
Works perfectly fine for me, does it also not work on your built in trackpad?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it doesn't work on my iMac or my macbook.

I press 3 fingers on the trackpad and move them around, and instead of the window moving, my cursor just moves. I've tried doing it both by just soft pressing down and also by pressing down until the mouse/track click occurs.

Is that right?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
AFAIK, it's not a gesture specific to moving windows around. The gesture is "dragging" in general. For example, if you had a bunch of text in a TextEdit document, and you wanted to drag to select some of it, you'd press 3-fingers down and the cursor would extend the selection.

Or in Finder, if you clicked a file to select it, you'd hold 3-fingers down to drag the file from its current location to another location.

That is, 3-fingers is the same as holding the trackpad's physical switch-button down.

I have this enabled on my MacBook Pro, and this is how it works.

I should also say that if my fingers are too close together, it can be misinterpreted as either a two-finger drag (scrolling) or sometimes as a two-finger pinch (zoom in/out).

All that said, to drag a window around you have to first move the cursor so it's hovering over the title bar, then press with 3-fingers. It should then drag the window around exactly the same way as if you pressed down the physical switch of the trackpad.

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
AFAIK, it's not a gesture specific to moving windows around. The gesture is "dragging" in general. For example, if you had a bunch of text in a TextEdit document, and you wanted to drag to select some of it, you'd press 3-fingers down and the cursor would extend the selection.

Or in Finder, if you clicked a file to select it, you'd hold 3-fingers down to drag the file from its current location to another location.

That is, 3-fingers is the same as holding the trackpad's physical switch-button down.

I have this enabled on my MacBook Pro, and this is how it works.

I should also say that if my fingers are too close together, it can be misinterpreted as either a two-finger drag (scrolling) or sometimes as a two-finger pinch (zoom in/out).

All that said, to drag a window around you have to first move the cursor so it's hovering over the title bar, then press with 3-fingers. It should then drag the window around exactly the same way as if you pressed down the physical switch of the trackpad.

Ohhhh, got it, thanks! That's too bad, moving the window around would have been much cooler!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.