Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi i have a 6s and I noticed to activate 3D Touch on an app you have press the app icon

However I notice that instead the app icon starts wiggling

Is this a design flaw by Apple?

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Then you don't press hard enough, quick enough.

You can change how sensitive 3D-touch is in accessibility options.

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
3D Touch is pressure sensitive. If you want to activate 3D Touch push hard, if you want to delete or move apps, just touch, without pushing, and hold.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Ok thanks figured it out but this feature is useless I'll turn it off

I doubt many people use it

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015

Are you trolling? You clearly haven't given it much time. Its best for quick actions for apps I use it everyday.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
One of my favorite and most used features. Lived with the SE for a couple of days and I really missed having 3DTouch.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

From app icons I have found two third party apps where it's actually useful.

The first is the target cartwheel app. I am able to quickly launch the barcode scanner to scan and search products. This was a chore before and the addition of the feature has given cartwheel a place on my home screen (it helps we shop at target a lot).

The Fitbit app also just implemented the feature and it's nice for recording what you eat, should that be something you want to do. It's not as much of a time saver as the cartwheel implementation, largely because I feel the barcode scanner manual activation in the cartwheel app is just poorly implemented. It does save time nonetheless.

Beyond just that, my main use of 3D Touch has been app switcher. If that's all it did id be happy with it. I'll gladly admit it's not an absolute must have feature, but I use it infinitely more then I ever thought I would.
[doublepost=1462079797][/doublepost]
Are you trolling? You clearly haven't given it much time. Its best for quick actions for apps I use it everyday.
Can you tell us some apps you use it for? I mentioned a few above but I always love to hear how I can make an app I use often more convenient.

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015

The first is the target cartwheel app. I am able to quickly launch the barcode scanner to scan and search products. This was a chore before and the addition of the feature has given cartwheel a place on my home screen (it helps we shop at target a lot).

The Fitbit app also just implemented the feature and it's nice for recording what you eat, should that be something you want to do. It's not as much of a time saver as the cartwheel implementation, largely because I feel the barcode scanner manual activation in the cartwheel app is just poorly implemented. It does save time nonetheless.

Beyond just that, my main use of 3D Touch has been app switcher. If that's all it did id be happy with it. I'll gladly admit it's not an absolute must have feature, but I use it infinitely more then I ever thought I would.
Can you tell us some apps you use it for? I mentioned a few above but I always love to hear how I can make an app I use often more convenient.
I use it a lot for overcast. The 3D Touch resume and play all podcasts shortcuts are really useful for driving so I don't have to be distracted. I use it often to peak at texts from my girlfriend without sending read receipts (and without having to turn off the read receipts because people notice that). I use it to quickly call people from the home screen. I also use it to jump to wifi in settings because I switch between networks often. I rarely use it in apps except for messages. I mostly use the shortcuts!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I am no big fan of 3D Touch, but just because I don't really use a feature doesn't mean I extrapolate my personal opinion as fact.

Plenty of people use 3D Touch and plenty of people like it.

Apple gives those of us who don't the option to turn it off.

But to assume it's useless and unused by anyone simply because you don't like it is arrogance.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I use it for task manager, trackpad cursor, settings->battery, peek in emails, peek and pop for various website links, and now fitbit supports quick links.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I use it a lot for overcast. The 3D Touch resume and play all podcasts shortcuts are really useful for driving so I don't have to be distracted. I use it often to peak at texts from my girlfriend without sending read receipts (and without having to turn off the read receipts because people notice that). I use it to quickly call people from the home screen. I also use it to jump to wifi in settings because I switch between networks often. I rarely use it in apps except for messages. I mostly use the shortcuts!
My issue with the phone call thing is that my most frequently called people aren't even in the preview list. Is there a way to change this? I've moved favorited around but it doesn't seem to change the order in which its displayed when 3D touching the phone icon.

As far as texts, I can see that as useful but I don't have read receipts on. I never saw a point. Same issue when trying to text someone by force touching the messages app; I have seemingly random numbers and not those who I texts the most so it's actually slower than fully opening the app.

Wifi is actually somethings use myself and forgot to mention it.

I do appreciate the reply even though it might not have helped me specifically. As I mentioned Fitbit just now added the functionality and I'm hoping we see more and more of this. I'm also hoping we, at some point, are able to edit what menu 3D Touch actually brings up. Would resolve some of the headache I've had :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.