Does 3G also drain a lot of battery when "only" having it turned on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lars666, Jun 10, 2009.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

just a short question I am wondering about: Does enabled 3G on the iPhone also uses significantly more battery even when NOT talking or surfing, but simply having it on and only make use of it from time to time for a minute or so? Or doesn't it drain much battery being only on for "standby"? And would about the battery consumption when having turned on GPS all the time? A short answer would be nice. Many thanks in advance!!!

2. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

My 3g stays on all day long as well as my GPS and i usually surf the web a few times a day, make a few phone calls and text all day, and it has enough charge to last me throughout the day, although after long days it does get close to going dead

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, leaving 3G on will drain more battery than leaving it off.

4. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your answers. Guess I'll have to try out when I get my new 3G how much the difference in reality really is ...

5. darkflounder macrumors regular

My battery life doubled when I turned off the e-mail checking every 15 minutes.

6. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Just turn off push, wifi, and blue toothand you can extend the battery life.
    You can also turn off the location services when not using it.

I surf the web, text a lot and make a few phone calls and only have to charge my phone every other night. I can get two days out of a charge by doing all of that.