does 3G have better/stronger signal strength?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shecky, Mar 26, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

just wondering, my fiancé has an iphone that does pretty badly reception-wise at our studio. would a 3G iPhone necessarily have the same reception problems? is there a chance that a 3G iPhone might work great where the current iPhone does not? or should it be about the same?

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

umm for the phone section id say no (not 100% but i dont think so)

And its faster for the net on the go!

Im sure a lot of people know more than me tho :)

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Same power, more redundency. So you can get the same call quality will lower connection.

TEG

4. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

so theoretically 3G might eliminate the iphone being between "no service" and 1-2 bars most of the time?

does 3G use different towers or just different antennas/dishes/whatever on the same towers that are already there?

5. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

My old 3g phone got much better service in my house than my iPhone does. I don't know whether that's a result of it being 3g or if its just the way the phone was constructed.

6. 3247 macrumors regular

3G uses completely different equipment, which may or may not be mounted on the same towers. At least, if 3G = UMTS. EDGE (which is also a 3G technology) is just an update to GSM, so it uses the same towers. CDMA2000/EV-DO … I have no idea.

I usually have better signal strength with my new UMTS phone. However, I don't know whether that is due to a different location of cell towers, a better phone design (however, both my old GSM and my new UMTS phone were made by Nokia) or really a feature of UMTS.