does 3g ipad 2 have gps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by avpmusik, Mar 4, 2011.

1. avpmusik macrumors member

with the last generation ipad, i had a wifi because whenever i was on the go i would use my phone to teather and use my phones internet, but since i'm saving up for the new ipad, does anybody know if i bought the 3g version, but still teathered, if i could use the GPS apps from the app store with it (with turn by turn directions).. or does the ipad have no gps at all..

just wondering. because i dont want to get a 3g, but would consider it if it had GPS capabilities...

2. mkivsupra macrumors newbie

The iPad 2 3G has assisted GPS like the first gen iPad.

I'm confused on your other questions though... Are you saying that you would be tethering (using wifi only on your 3G iPad) to your phone and want to use GPS apps on your iPad? Or are you asking if the 3G iPad can run the gps apps in the AppStore?

3. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

i'm pretty much asking.. if i were to get the 3g model.. but not use the service.
    can i use the GPS chip, which is only inside the 3g model with my tethered internet. bypassing 3G all together but still have a funtional ipad with GPS.. using a nav app like navigon.

4. djjclark macrumors regular

On the current 3G iPad you can use the gps with no problem. It takes a little longer to lock on to the satellites then if you had cell access.

5. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I am looking into the same thing. I want to turn on the 3G as little as possible, but plan to use the GolfShot GPS app for playing golf. If I can leave the 3g off but still get the benefits of the GPS then I am in for the 3G.