Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
i'm on the verge of getting a new 27" imac. was thinking of getting one with only 8GB of ram so i can update myself for less than what apple charges. i have a feeling this would void the warranty. hopefully i'm wrong.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Well with a 27" you are wrong, so go ahead and add more memory. With a 21.5" model, which has to be cracked and nearly the entire guts removed, yes you do void that warranty.

With the iMac being a single glued screen, strongly suggest getting the additional AppleCare insurance, and if you are in the US or Japan, make that AppleCare+.

Last edited:

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Also if upgrading the RAM yourself is important to you for $ reasons (like me) and you were thinking of waiting until an iMac 2018 is announced (maybe, see other threads), then note there is _speculation_ that a new iMac may remove the “door” for users to upgrade the RAM themselves on the back of the 27 inch machine. Don’t think anyone’s seen any evidence of it either way but with Apple’s other models this has been the trend.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Likely would not void the warranty, but if you start having RAM type issues with third-party RAM installed Apple will have you remove the RAM and see if it can be replicated without the third-party RAM. This is their step to identify if it is the RAM or something more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.