Does 4.0 bring this option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, May 4, 2010.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

When a call comes in a small, semi-transparent window pops up over your current screen with caller ID and 'Accept' / 'Decline'?

Instead of the irritating, sudden, blast you out of your app/text, function [​IMG]

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i thought it went back to the app after the call was done, or if you declined...

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

overall it does, sometimes it just goes back to the app yet not necessarily where you left off.

I'm talking about refining it I suppose.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That is the fault of the application developer: they are meant to detect the unload (or in 4.0 being suspended to the background) and save enough state to come back to where they were.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a larger flaw with the OS. You shouldn't be taken from your current app without it asking first.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

4.0 should fix that once the devs update their apps (if they choose to enable multitasking in their app)

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I agree in that it is a flaw with the OS and not a fault of the developer. Just yesterday for example, I decided to try a Texas Hold'Em game with a friend that we could play connected via Bluetooth. I received a call and it disconnected us. That is not the developers fault. There is no reason Apple can't implement this since simultaneous data/voice is possible.

8. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Exactly, great example.

9. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

How cool would it be if that DID come to fruition, and the double-bar on the top would be there if you accepted the call. I mean, playing a game, or on Pandora, etc., and being able to talk to people without ever leaving the app. Sexy, no?

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

You do know that its a phone right? the primary function is to make and accept calls. The phone app takes precedence over anything else and therefore is going to fill your screen when a call is coming in.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, but it does not need to close out whatever is running currently to do so. Just like text messages have popups that you can choose to view or ignore, they could do the same with a phone call. Sure, pop up a message that takes up the whole screen just like it currently does, but keep whatever is running in the background until I decide to either accept the call or ignore it. If I ignore it, it's like nothing happened. If I accept it, I don't mind if it closes out the other app. I just don't want it closing out an app if I'm doing something important and a call from someone comes in that I don't want to answer.