Does 4.3 have slide to unlock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newdeal, Mar 6, 2011.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

Ok, so its pretty obvious from watching the smart cover video that they are showing the ipad waking directly to springboard instead of to slide to unlock. I was wondering if they got rid of slide to unlock in 4.3 or if this is some special feature of the smart cover, or if apples video is just BS and it wakes to the slide to unlock screen when you open the cover?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It is a feature of the Smart Cover

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If they got rid of slide to unlock, how would you unlock the iPad without a smart cover?

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

The iPad that they show doesnt have a password, so when you open the case, it is already on the springboard. The whole point of the slide to unlock is so that you dont accidentally wake the phone/pod/pad and tap stuff on the screen. So if the cover is on, you're obviously not going to tap anything on the screen, and when you take the cover off it knows that you are ready to start using it.

If you have a password however, it will probably jump right to the enter password screen. But who needs passwords?! :D

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is the smart cover just using a proximity sensor or what? I wonder if it will work with any case that covers the screen?

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think the way it works is when the ipad senses when the magnet of the cover is pulling on the magnet inside. There is a magnet inside, and a magnet on the flap.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

More likely they're using a Hall Effect sensor inside the ipad2 than a 2nd magnet. Easier/simpler/cheaper that way.

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It is definitely this. If they used a proximity sensor it would be too easily triggered while you use it. The HE sensor should do the trick without any effort.

9. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

But there is still a magnet on the cover that holds it closed right?

11. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

by pressing the button. I had the ipad 1 skip over the slide to unlock screen with some jailbreak app that caused it to go right to springboard and I liked it far better

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The cover itself is magnetic, and the lining around the iPad's screen is just lined with metal so that the cover will stick on. Most likely the HE sensor is along the right side of the iPad, so it can detect the magnetic cover and sleep/wake the device appropriately.

Because of the way magnets work, when you fold the case onto itself it sticks together (opposite poles of the magnet). This is why it can be used as a nicely folded stand instead of just unravel immediately.

The hinge part uses a series of magnets, both on the hinge itself and on the side of the iPad, this way it automatically lines up perfectly every time.

13. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

WOW! It all makes sense now! :eek: Thanks a lot fro clearing that up.

14. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

No problem, the thing I wonder about now is how much metal crap in peoples bags will end up stuck to the side of the iPad.