Does 4G sign appear on other worldwide carriers?

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
pretty much topic question? so does it show up? I'm talking about international HSPA+ carriers do you have the 4G branding? or this only happens with att?

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Apple's Press Release doesn't really give up much:
Although Apple won't reveal the details behind the change, the company's official statement places the impetus squarely on AT&T. "AT&T has rolled out a nationwide HSPA+ network, and they refer to this high-speed network as 4G,"(...)
from the Verge

You could interpret that as being available to any carrier that sells "4G", or only to AT&T as specified, which would depend on the context of the original question.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Rye/London, UK
I'm still getting 3G on the Three network in the UK, who utilise HSPA+. I won't be pleased if this changes. The definition of 4G in Europe is quite strict so I think they would be censured if they did this.

monksealpup

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu, HI, USA
It's just a marketing gimmick for AT&T so they can claim 4G and hope consumers don't notice that Verizon's 4G LTE is quite a bit different (the added LTE part). Basically marketing is lying to you (as always).

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
It shows up on my phone in Champaign, IL USA. I don't know if I really have 4G or not, but it says that I do. My 3gs phone said 3G before we really had it. That is why I am skeptical.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I don't think anyone should promote HSPA+ (not DC-HSPA) as "4G". So far, in this country WiMAX is marketed as 4G but not HSPA+ and DC-HSPA.

My network has HSPA+ and they are still referring it as 3G, and rightly so. On iPhones, it's still showing "3G".