Does 4G sign appear on other worldwide carriers?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by apollo1444, Mar 8, 2012.

1. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

pretty much topic question? so does it show up? I'm talking about international HSPA+ carriers do you have the 4G branding? or this only happens with att?

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Apple's Press Release doesn't really give up much:
    from the Verge

You could interpret that as being available to any carrier that sells "4G", or only to AT&T as specified, which would depend on the context of the original question.

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I'm still getting 3G on the Three network in the UK, who utilise HSPA+. I won't be pleased if this changes. The definition of 4G in Europe is quite strict so I think they would be censured if they did this.

4. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

No because this specifically was in the 5.1 release notes "Updated AT&T network indicator"

So it would only be on AT&T

5. monksealpup macrumors regular

It's just a marketing gimmick for AT&T so they can claim 4G and hope consumers don't notice that Verizon's 4G LTE is quite a bit different (the added LTE part). Basically marketing is lying to you (as always).

6. k3roro macrumors 6502

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It shows up on my phone in Champaign, IL USA. I don't know if I really have 4G or not, but it says that I do. My 3gs phone said 3G before we really had it. That is why I am skeptical.

8. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

I don't think anyone should promote HSPA+ (not DC-HSPA) as "4G". So far, in this country WiMAX is marketed as 4G but not HSPA+ and DC-HSPA.

My network has HSPA+ and they are still referring it as 3G, and rightly so. On iPhones, it's still showing "3G".

9. guineapig macrumors regular

TIM in Italy. Never seen 4G so far (I don't think I will).