Does 4GB Ram Still gives you Trouble?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by finnschi, Jan 2, 2009.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

:eek: I heard about those freezing problems when using 4Gb Ram in a Unibody macbook... I was planning to upgrade so , should I wait or go for it?

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's quite annoying how finicky nVidia chipsets can be with RAM. I'd get something that's guaranteed to work.

4. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Seen it already :D Hope that doesen't happen with my NEW ram :eek:

5. mynameisadam macrumors member

mynameisadam

what kind of problems are you foreseeing?

iv had my macbook for only a week but, its good and running absolutely amazing.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

he's talking about kernel panics from people who upgrade their RAM to 4GB with 3rd party RAM.

I don't know if the problem has been definitively solved, but I've sure seen a lot fewer complaints about that problem in the past 3-4 weeks.

7. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I had a lockup about twice a week before the firmware update in December. I'm using the Crucial 4G upgrade and haven't had any issues since the FW upgrade. Works great.

8. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

I red about that stuff on TUAW like 2 weeks ago.. apparently its solved now.. i'll wait til march, and then buy em on Newegg(I will be in the US of A in march..) :D

9. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I had this issue with my Pro. I sent for replacement RAM and while it was being processed by Crucial, Apple brought out those firmware and OS updates. Now it's fine but I'm not sure which of the two was the solution.

10. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

i only got my 4gb after all the updates, but when i fitted it no worries, that was a couple of weeks back now, and i still havent rebooted it cept for 5 days ago when i updated the raw camera drivers which required reboot,

memory was from crucial

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...c'mon revB Uni-MBP/MB, I don't feel like being a "beta" tester for :apple:

12. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've had this Alu MB since mid-October and I have no significant issues -- including the RAM one that started the thread.

13. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm seems like its fine Now... i ams till going to wait til march, no need for more than 2Gb right now... Final Cut still runs fine on my Dual G5 mac Pro with 8gb :D :D :D

14. djellison macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't make RAM. ALL the ram in Apple machines is 3rd Party.

Doug

15. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

I've been asking the same thing too, and no one has really definitive "yes the 10.5.6 update fixed the ram issue on the unibody macbooks"

the firmware updates were confirmed to not fix the ram issue, so I (and a lot of others) were hoping that 10.5.6 fixed it.

I've been waiting to pick up memory from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/) since you can't beat that price.

16. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

It's pretty difficult to confirm where the fix came from. The facts are:
    1) Applied the FW patches
    2) Applied the 10.5.6 update
    3) Haven't had any problems with Crucial memory...

17. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I know this. should have said 3rd party vendor. fact is, people who got their machines configured with 4GB RAM didn't have the problem, while people who did the upgrade themselves with RAM purchased independently from a 3rd party vendor did have the problem. of course, you knew that.

18. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

It really does seem like this topic has dried up over the last two weeks but I'm not convinced the problem is fixed.

I tried two sets of OCW ram and one set of Crucial ram, all failed. After that the new updates came out, although I have heard that those had no effect. And it's interesting that Apple didn't publish anything about them fixing ram issues. 10.5.6 maybe fixed it, but that hasn't been confirmed anywhere I can see.

Does anyone have knowledge of 3rd party kits that are sure to work. Or perhaps a place where I can buy samsung ram besides $300 from Apple?

Thanks so much!

19. hmai18 macrumors 6502

My OWC kit should be arriving today. I'll keep everyone updated.

20. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

Please do. It's either buy new ram first or a 500GB drive, and to be honest I'd rather have the ram since I don't really keep a bunch of files on the machine anyways. I was just looking to futureproof, but hdd prices fall pretty quickly, so waiting is fine by me.

21. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

MrSugar, is you EFI firmware updated? as far as i know, the firmware update 1.3 takes care of certain "stability" issues with the new macbooks. open "system Profiler" and post your boot ROM version and your SMC version.

22. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Just one thought -- my experience is on a Alu MB 2.4GHz. It looks like Mr. Sugar was on a BlackBook. I wonder if this could be one reason for seeing a difference...

23. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

According to this site, the firmware updates alone (which came out prior to 10.5.6) did not fix the memory issue.

http://jkontherun.com/2008/12/11/mac-firmware-up/

Which is why I've been wondering if 10.5.6 and the firmware updates fixed it.

24. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Well, the OWC kit was installed and was bootable, so that's a positive sign.

25. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

Think it was always bootable. Keep it on and use it regularly, and also do some sleeping and awaking, and all the tests that seem to cause the most freezing.

*crosses fingers*