Does 4GB RAM suffice for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drock93, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Drock93 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Just picked up a 4GB\128GB rMBP. I haven't opened it yet, as I want to make sure 4gb will be sufficient for my needs. I will be using the laptop for web browsing and college papers/research. I also plan to hook up an external monitor when at home. I figure the money I save from going with the 4gb version ($200) can be used towards a new monitor and keyboard and mouse.

So can I stick with 4gb? Would I need more ram for an external display? How long should 4 last me before I need to upgrade to a new laptop? Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

With your stated needs, 4 GB RAM will suffice. More RAM will also not help with an external display, which most likely has less pixels than the MacBook Pro with Retina Display anyway.

If your stated needs do not change that much in the next few years, you will able to live with those 4 GB of RAM.

Btw, the 200 USD more also give your 128 more GB of flash storage.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I agree with salad. For your needs, 4GB will be adequate giving that you don't start doing anything overly intensive. Also helping will be the ram compression used in 10.9 and higher, making it seem like your Macbook has 6-8GB instead of 4GB.

4. Drock93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've got a few external harddrives to cover my storage needs. I will probably upgrade to a maxed out rMBP when I am out of college in the next year or so and into a full time job.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Open up the 4GB and start enjoying it. It has way more punch than you would imagine. I am still amazed at how well my 4/128 rMBP performs.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Enjoy your laptop, 4GB for your stated needs will be fine for now and the future.