Does 512mb Nvidia 8600m GT graphics card in last gen MBP have same defect issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthewcap, Dec 5, 2008.

1. matthewcap macrumors member

Just wondering if the 2.5 ghz last gen MBP with the 512mb nvidia 8600m gt graphics card has the same defect issues as the ones listed on the apple site such as the 256mb version and the 17inch laptop? Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

At this point, I'd just avoid the 8600M GT all together. What a fiasco. Just wait for the actually updated 17" at MacWorld.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yes, it can potentially be affected by the manufacturing defect.

It is the nVIDIA chip, after all, that has the manufacturing defect.

4. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I agree I would wait for the 17 refresh but if you choose not to, you can always get Applecare and be assured at least 3 years of use from it. (By that time you'll probably upgrading to a new Mac anyway.)

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

There is a small batch from nvidia that DO have an issue.

You can take your mac to the apple store and they will test it for you to determine whether your machine was in that batch.

If it is affected they will replace the part for free for you.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I was lead to believe any Macs produced with the NVIDIA 8600M after September 2008 wouldn't have this issue.

Meaning the slightly updated 17" won't have this issue. But I'd still wait till MacWorld because they are almost certainly going to introduce the Unibody 17".