Does 8.3 require iTunes 12?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Mr Todhunter, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Mr Todhunter macrumors member

Mr Todhunter

I run iTunes 11.4 on Mavericks. iTunes shows only the 8.0.2 update when I connect my iPad (3rd gen). Can anybody confirm my suspicion than 8.3 REQUIRES iTunes 12? I tried Yosemite and iTunes 12 and hated both passionately, so I'm not going above Tunes 11.4 even if I have to stay on 7.1.2 and Mavericks forever. I've been searching the web without success regarding this matter. Also, the iPad shows the 8.3 update but I don't want to update wirelessly if I cannot later connect to iTunes. I never sync but always tag and transfer all of my stuff manually, so not using iTunes on my Mac is not an option.

2. iPhone20 macrumors regular

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Note that iTunes 12 is available for Mavericks. You don't have to move to Yosemite to run it.

I suggest just biting the bullet and upgrading both, though. You will have to eventually, when software stops working on Mavericks or you upgrade your Mac. It's easier to make the transition now and just get used to the new system. Also most of the bugs that made Yosemite problematic have been fixed by now.

4. Mr Todhunter thread starter macrumors member

Mr Todhunter

Thank you for your reply, but I will not go to Yosemite or iTunes 12 for ANY reason. Which means I will not be buying a new Mac, iPad, or iPhone but I will look for used stuff from before the middle of 1014.

5. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

TLDR but to answer your original question, no. iTunes 11.4 supports iOS 8.3 update. I've updated my iPhone as well as my iPad via iTunes 11.4. Try restarting your iTunes/computer/internet connection and see if that works.

6. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Tell that to the people that run iOS 5 because they like for example the old YouTube app
    Tell that to the people that think iOS 6 for some reason unbeknown to man is better than iOS 7 or 8.
    Tell that to the people that ask why they should update to 8.3 when 8.1 is working fine for them. It's like they never heard of security and bug fixes
    Don't tell that to the people that updated to iOS 8.0.1 on release, like myself.

:D

7. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Oh dear.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I must ask, why? I can see not liking the look of Yosemite, but iTunes has actually gotten faster and more stable since the 12 update. I've had no issues with it myself.

Have you tried using it yet?

It seems odd to cling to older versions of software. The world is going to move forward, dude, with or without you. You might as well join us and not be left behind.

9. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

If the user is cool with old version no need to update because word is moving forward.

If there are new features or improvement in stability and speed that's a different story.

It's like a car manufacturer slightly altering headlights or taillights and calling essentially same car all new...

10. jacky28c macrumors newbie

Hey, if car manufacturer is giving those upgrades for free, why not?! ;)

11. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. I updated to 8.3 using iTunes 11.4.

I suspect though that we will need iTunes 12 in order to update to iOS 9. That will be decision time for me, because my iMac is happily humming along with Snow Leopard and I don't intend to upgrade to Lion just so I can run iTunes 12.

12. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Not a good idea once iTunes 11 stops supporting the newest releases. But for now I have both versions of iTunes on separate installations.

13. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Why not? Why do you dislike iTunes 12 and Yosemite?

14. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Every new version of any software ever made improves security/stability and possibly gives you new features. It's kind of why we have software updates in the first place. Lol

----------

Haha great :D

15. Mr Todhunter thread starter macrumors member

Mr Todhunter

Because I find managing my extensive music collection and books a lot easier using iTunes 11 or 10. Changing metadata is a real pain under 12. Last but not least I can't stand the horrible new GUI.

16. vista980622 macrumors 6502

Use CrossOver + iTunes 12.x for Windows XP!
    Seriously, the latest version of iTunes dropped support for Snow Leopard yet still supports Windows XP!