Does a $100 make sense?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymac, Jun 25, 2009.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

Like to upgrade from a 3G iPhone to a 3GS, but my upgrade is not until 7/29/09 and can't be changed, according to ATT, as I don't qualify for the early upgrade program.

Since I can't wait (or at least think I can't), I'm thinking of adding a new line to my family plan, buying a 3GS at the full discount, port my old 3G iPhone number to the 3GS, and then cancel the 3G contract with an ETF charge of $100.

Is that doable, notwithstanding the $100 ETF, to get a 3GS a month early?

2. uhhitsjames macrumors member

I'd say just wait, it's only a month. I upgraded but I had 6 months to be eligible.

3. blueturf macrumors member

I wanted to do this exact same thing with the 3G in January and they wouldn't let me. They said the was no way of keeping my same number on a new line on my family plan and pay the etf for that line. I asked about porting and they said it wasn't possible. The only thing I could do was add a line, transfer the 3G to my number and then pay the etf on the new line ($175 instead of $120).

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just wait a month unless you have money to blow, BTW I thought the ETF was 175?
    But that's what I did just add a line and swith sims and make sure you change the ieme on the phones.
    Buy me adding a line and canceling it after 30 days, leaves my original line avalible for an upgrade next year.

5. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

So the idea is that I can add a line for discount price and cancel my 3G for only 100$?

6. joro macrumors 68020

joro

From my understanding you can’t port number within an AT&T account 6 months after you cancel the line. So, in your example, you would effectively be porting your number to the new phone which you can’t do for 6 months following your contract termination.

7. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Rather, I should say it’s not that you can’t port; it’s that you won’t qualify for the new contract discount right away.

8. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Yep me too-last summer when the 3G came out-they would not allow me to upgrade. And the weird thing was, I NEVER had a subsidized phone from AT$T. I came as a "bring your own equipment" customer as I had unlocked stuff from t-mo and moved to an area t-mo has REALLY BAD reception in.

So anyway, I activated three of my own phones on AT$T, and had the service for EIGHT MONTHS and they still wouldn't give me a subsidized phone.

So I added two lines to my FP and then when it came time to port the existing numbers to the "new" iPhones, AT$T said no-dice. "Their Computer would recognize that as a disconnection and the ETF would apply" .

Whatever, I kept the new numbers even though my old number was the best cell number ever (had only 3 unique numbers in it, 3, 4, and 5). The iPhone is worth it, but AT$T definitely blows and can't seem to think outside the box EVER.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

10. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

If it's doable as you planned, then, why not.

If the pain/discomfort/anxiety you'd have for one full month outweighs the value of x-amount, then you should do it.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Just wait, I guarantee you that they won't make you wait until the 29th. Wait until the 1st and go in the store and tell them that you would like to upgrade and if they don't let you then you will go to Sprint and get the Pre. If they say go ahead to Sprint then just walk out and go to another ATT store and try the same thing.

12. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no, although with this economy i suppose that everyone just has tons of money to spend, jobs are easy to come by, so why not

13. psymac thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like a great idea, within one month after the first, they might just do it then.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, actually, the title of this thread does NOT make sense.

15. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

:D agreed