Does a 17" imac g5 logic board fit a 20" imac g5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joyous jorge, Dec 6, 2011.

1. joyous jorge macrumors newbie

I have a 20" Imac g5 rev b with ambient light sensor model number M9845LL/A.
    It was one of the lucky imacs to get shipped with a bad logic board due to failing capacitors. Even though the capacitors show no sign of damage on the logic board aren't swollen though. When I start it up it does not boot and I get no video and the fans are roaring loud to prevent the cpu from overheating. The third and fourth led lights don't light up on the logic board. I tried connecting an external display and the external display gets no video from the Imac g5.

The serial number of my imac is
    W852220LSDZ.

I have a couple of questions.

Is there an apple repair extension program for this specific model of imac g5 since it is no longer under waranty?

Would a logic board from an imac g5 17" fit into my imac g5 20"?

Since I have to replace the logic board on it, how about an upgrade,would a intel logic board from an 20" imac fit into the imac g5 20"?

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

You'll probably want to redact the serial number, FYI

There was, but that has long since expired.

Probably not, but I've only attempted the other way. There's a big difference in the internals between the two models.

No. The ports are oriented horizontally, not vertically, on Intel iMacs.

If you like that form factor of Mac, your best bet is to replace it with an early rev Intel iMac. I can't in good conscience recommend spending $300US+ on replacement parts for an iMac G5.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Have you checked the caps in your power supply? That's where the problem in my iMac G5 was. Also, if you search online, there are cap replacement kits, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

4. joyous jorge thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your replies

What happened to the serial number?

how can i check the caps on the logic board?

I have checked the capacitors visually and can't see any visible damage. They are not swollen or leaking.

Do you have to remove the logic board from the computer to solder the new capacitors?

Can you remove the old capacitors and solder the new capacitors on the logic board without removing the logic board from the computer?