Does a 27 ACD work w/ a MBP w/o power? Let me explain...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Silverstring, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Silverstring macrumors member

The ACD cables are well-suited be used by the laptop line. What I'm wondering is, if you plug in the USB and mini display port cables, but NOT the magsafe power adapter, should the display still work with the laptop, even with the lid closed?

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes it will work fine. Obviously the difference is that your notebook won't charge unless you have the normal power adapter plugged in.

3. Silverstring thread starter macrumors member

Okay, here's the thing. My 13'' MBP DOESN'T work when I remove the mag safe. The screen immediately goes blank, and nothing will revive it except putting the plug back in.

I'm guessing I'm having a problem with my 27'' ACD then? Can anyone else replicate this behavior? My MBP is closed, and I'm using the Apple Bluetooth keyboard for waking.

4. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Are you using it with the laptops lid closed? If so, macs do that with all monitors, you can't run it in clamshell mode without having the power plugged in - It's happened with my last 3 macs with monitors, projectors etc.

Sorry, it's just the way it is, it will go straight to sleep when the power is unplugged.

There may be some software that will stop it (insomnia maybe?), but I haven't looked into it. Alternatively, you could leave your laptops lid open and screen on.

5. Silverstring thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, thanks for answering this. I never had an ACD before, just wanted to find out if this was normal behavior. Yes, I am talking about lid closed clamshell mode.

Although I'd like to be able to do it, it's not really a "problem" that needs any fixing. I'll look into insomnia in any case!