Does a 61W USB charger work with a Macbook Pro 2016 15" Model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolasvh, Dec 3, 2016.

1. nicolasvh macrumors newbie

nicolasvh

Hi there!

So I've forgot my charger at work I noticed today and was planning to buy an extra charger anyway. The thing is: the 87W USB-C charger is basically impossible to find here in Belgium, even in Apple Stores. Online is not a problem, but I would like to get it tomorrow.

The thing is, 61W ones are available and could be delivered tomorrow. But I'm unable to find if it will work on a Macbook Pro 15 inch? It only specifies that vice-versa it works, so lower wattage models can charge via the 87W one, but I'm unable to find if I can buy a 61W one for my MBP 2016. I know it will charge slower naturally, but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't charge at all...

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yes, it will charge the computer. When off/asleep, it'll charge a bit slower, but otherwise it's still fully functional.

When the computer is on & in use, the 61w adapter will charge noticeably slower, and in rare circumstances may not have enough power to charge the battery and power the computer at the same time in situations where you're heavily pushing the CPU and the dedicated GPU, so theoretically the battery could still run down in that situation. But otherwise, it'll work.

I have one, so this is from experience.

3. nicolasvh thread starter macrumors newbie

nicolasvh

Thanks a lot!

4. ImTheOne macrumors member

Yep, if you are looking at the Anker multi-port charger with USB C port, it definitely works on 2016 13" and 15" MBP. That is actually my main source of charging and I couldn't be happier.