Does a bootcamp partition work on a regular PC?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Brunchies, May 9, 2012.

1. Brunchies macrumors newbie

I have two macs and I'm thinking of selling my old imac. It still works great, amazing in fact but I want to build a PC for myself and I want to sell my old Imac to build a good 700 dollar PC. I'll transfer all the mac programs I have to my second mac but I'm more interested in how i'll transfer my bootcamp partition.
    I was thinking of making a bootcamp backup with the default windows 7 backup utility. Then I was going to transfer that to the new PC but I'm wondering if that will work. Are there any incompatibilities that Bootcamp drivers or bootcamp in general have with any regular PC's? Is it just as easy as copying the partition to the new drive and deleting the old drivers and installing the news ones that come with your parts or am I missing something. :confused:

2. V-B macrumors newbie

Actually I am curious as well to know if it works or not. Have a backup for all your files, then try it and tell us the result. Be the "victim" of science :D