Does a Canadian purchased Apple Watch 4 have ECG circuitry??

TimJohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2018
Vancouver
Hello All,

With all this hype of the ECG, I was wondering if the ECG for my Canadian Apple Watch will ever work. Did Apple hardwire each watch with this feature but not release their software to us? I guess if this is the case (no circuitry for ECG function), then this is really nasty since it was hyped with this feature so that would once approval was given by Health Canada then they would release the functioning apps.

I read that only US models work and this was because of the hardware.

Timothy

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
The hardware is the same regardless of where it’s purchased. The feature is limited by software. The serial numbers of the watches sold in the U.S. are used to activate the ECG.
It’ll be activated as they get the government approvals in other countries.

Reactions: cdcastillo

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Hello All,

With all this hype of the ECG, I was wondering if the ECG for my Canadian Apple Watch will ever work. Did Apple hardwire each watch with this feature but not release their software to us? I guess if this is the case (no circuitry for ECG function), then this is really nasty since it was hyped with this feature so that would once approval was given by Health Canada then they would release the functioning apps.

I read that only US models work and this was because of the hardware.

Timothy

Good question, I wonder if anyone in the USA can weigh their Apple Watch?

Then we can make a comparison for the other numerous countries that do not have the ECG function enabled ?

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Weighing won’t tell you the answer anyway - this is a 7 nanometer SOC/circuitry, not an IBM XT, so the weight of the ECG circuit by itself would be nanograms.

But they are all the same hardware. I suspect (but do not know) that the iOS/Watch OS installer looks for valid US serial numbers and installs (or not) the ECG function based on the region-specific serial number of the Watch.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.