Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I know there have been many different threads on the Macbook Air creaking. I've searched but couldn't find anything that answered my question.

Does a hardcase, like the Incase Perforated or Speck HardShell case stop the creaking?

My MBA creaks, not from loose screws, but it appears to be because the aluminum base is "flimsy". There is give and take and that is what causes the creaks. So I was thinking that if a hardcase was on, it would make the base stronger.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks

b2051758

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I'm experiencing the same creaks with my mba. I'm guessing there is nothing that can be done about it and just the aluminium being too thin or not put together properly. I will be buying a screw driver and giving that ago just in case it is the screws, apart from that I don't think any case will help plus it defeats the looks and thinness of the mba in the first place.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I would say the MBA is more prone to creaking and flexing when you handle it with one hand in the track pads corners, for obvious reasons.

Try changing your way of moving it around using one hand on each side closer to the keyboard area (Shift/Shift)

A plastic cover will help, only because it becomes to heavy were you have to use both hands ;)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
So I cracked and went to the Apple store and got the PowerSupport AirJacket. Case is very thin, virtually weightless. But unfortunately, the creaking still continues. I don't get it. I never had a problem with my Pro and Apple is telling me that it is "normal". It is driving me insane..

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I have said this before, but the creaking can be fixed by taking out all the screws on the base plate, applying loctite and reinstalling them. Then retighten all of them before the loctite dries. This has completely stopped the creak on my 2011 13 inch air for the last 2.5 months.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I have said this before, but the creaking can be fixed by taking out all the screws on the base plate, applying loctite and reinstalling them. Then retighten all of them before the loctite dries. This has completely stopped the creak on my 2011 13 inch air for the last 2.5 months.

My problem is that the center of the plate is creaking. It looks like it is bulged out in the center, and once any pressure is applied them, from a flat desk or even a pillow, it pushes on that bulge and creaks. My originally air had the creaking caused from the screws. Had to be tightened every few weeks and the Genius just replaced it with a new one. This one didn't start until this mysterious bulge appeared 4 months after owning it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
That bulge could be your battery if it was somehow damaged.

I thought so as well. Took it in last week, took it apart and everything was fine inside. They said it was "normal", even though I completely disagree. Looks like I'm stuck with this for now.

Thanks for your help though.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
My problem is that the center of the plate is creaking. It looks like it is bulged out in the center, and once any pressure is applied them, from a flat desk or even a pillow, it pushes on that bulge and creaks. My originally air had the creaking caused from the screws. Had to be tightened every few weeks and the Genius just replaced it with a new one. This one didn't start until this mysterious bulge appeared 4 months after owning it.

Is the bulge something you can show in a picture?

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
What size MBA is prone to creaking, or is it both the 11 and 13? Is this something it has always been there or comes on slow and becomes a issue over time?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Is the bulge something you can show in a picture?

Not really.. Its not that it is fully noticeable either. But if you apply area pressure to the center region of the base plate it flattens out and you hear a "pop" sound. But if it is just lying flat on a desk or pillow and it moves slightly you get that creak noise.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Can you take a video of this creaking and bulge? Neither sound normal at all.

Sorry no longer have the computer. It has been a huge ordeal and I essentially said screw it. Took it in one more time, this time got a cool Genius. Sent it off to be repaired. Computer came back all scratched, dirty, discolored and they offered me a brand new one in box. I said I appreciate the offer but can I just pay the difference to get an iMac because I'm over the whole MBA thing. I already have an iPad so the portability of the Air was more a want than a need. Needless to say I'm very happy with my iMac and won't really miss the Air besides the SSD.

Oh, BTW, they replaced the keyboard, trackpad and bottom panel and the creaking remained..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.