Does a cracked screen void your warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldenarmz97, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Goldenarmz97 macrumors newbie

I was told this by an Apple employee yesterday at one of their retail stores. I'm sure she was giving me the run-around but just want to be sure.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yep. No matter what the fault is afterwards Apple will say warranty void even though the crack screen has no issue with crack screen.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

not to many company's cover cracked screens unless you buy accidental. Apple will replace it though for $200 US that's still a good deal.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

The warranty does not cover accidental damage so any obligation of Apple to replace it...also goes out the window.

What other problem are you having that might qualify for a warranty repair if you had not damaged the iPhone?

You might try another Apple store or even the same store with a different "Genius", the policy enforcement varies. Some stores will allow you one free swap for your "accidental damage" and some Genius techs are very strict since as a reminder just jailbreaking your iPhone voids the warranty!

Dave

5. Goldenarmz97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been having problems with the proximity center which was the reason I had scheduled an appointment. I cracked my screen on the way to the store, smh.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Ouch, tough luck. But every genius acts differently. Some are very generous and they'll find a reason to swap out your iPhone. Others won't. It's a luck of the draw.

7. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I'm sure in their eyes the faulty proximity sensor could have been caused by the impact that cracked the screen.

8. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I know someone that said they got a replacement for cracked screen free, don't ask me how maybe just being super nice? How old is phone?

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Someone on here said the same thing recently.
    They said the phone showed one long crack instead of the lots-of-little-cracks shatter-effect.
    This, the genius said, was evidence of a flaw in the glass and worthy of replacement.
    True or not, that was their story.

10. 827freddy macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I went in today with a crack screen on my iPhone and the guy replaced it for free, but I also had a problem with the phone button. The guy told me the warranty was voided because of the crack and he said he will meet me half way so I could purchase another one but in the end I got for free