Does a jailbreak affect/harm iTunes Backup data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by urtext, Jul 23, 2010.

1. urtext macrumors newbie

I am a perfectionist, and I am curious. Once, a little while ago, I jailbroke my iPhone 3G (somewhere in de OS 3 saga). I was quite surprised by some new features and I kept the jailbreak for a while. So I got texted, my call history extended et cetera.

But for some reason I wanted to get back to Apples pure, not modded, OS. But I still wanted to have my SMS history and Call History et cetera. On quite a few forums I read about an easy DFU mode and restore with the latest backup I made within iTunes. Written at those forums was that no jailbreak data was backupped in iTunes. Of course, this was a normal backup in iTunes, but from a jailbroken iPhone. I did my restore and my iPhone worked quite well. In fact it still does perfectly, with all histories and logs, in iOS 4.0.1.

But my question is: is there still some data in my iPhone right now from when it was jailbroken, tranfered with a backup created when it was jailbroken? In other words: does a jailbreak affect/harm a usual iPhone backup in iTunes in any way?

So, do I still walk around with some weird strings in my iPhone, or some 0's and 1's in some file?

Many thanks in advance!

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, there will always be bits and pieces left behind from a backup that was jailbroken.

I noticed on a 3G phone whenever I would restore from a backup that was jailbroken, the battery percentage would carry over and so would the custom AT&T logo. There are other things too, these are just the ones I always noticed.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Texts, game saves and settings are not backed up (synced) in iTunes
    You get those back if you restore to a backup instead of set up as new.

Everything else, apps, music, movies, ringtones, etc syncs back from iTunes.

A DFU restore is the most complete restore. There can be left over jailbreak mods if you choose restore to backup instead of set up as new as a few items can come back via a restore to backup.

I always choose set up as new.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

They are backed up but not synced is what I believe you are trying to say. It's a little confusing with the wording.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Perhaps my grammer is not as perfect as it might be. But I think the concept is correct:rolleyes:

6. urtext thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for this information. There is not much about this topic known I have the idea while looking at the Internet.

As you maybe know, iPhone 4 is coming to The Netherlands this Friday and I'd like to make a 'fresh start', no jailbreak stuff in old backups, just set it up 'as new'. And since the structure of the iTunes Backup has changed in iOS 4 and iTunes 9.2, you cannot put back you sms history by simply copy/paste the '3d0d7e5fb... database file' into the new backup files... Just restoring sms history and call logs is not that easy anymore, but ok, there's not much wrong with a fresh start. Thanks again!