Does a Jailbroken iPhone Increase in Street Value?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mr. Incredible, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I got an iPhone 4 which I plan to sell later on in the year, and I'm wondering if I can sell it for even more than the average price around my area because:

A) It's Jailbroken
    B) It's got Siri

Are you able to ask for more, or what?

I've never sold my iPhone before, let alone a Jailbroken iPhone.

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

It increases in value for those who do not care to learn / don't know much about jailbreaking. If they are knowledgeable and wary, then well they'd only be willing to buy your phone for the normal going price. Good luck!

3. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

well if its GSM (At&t model) and if your under iOS 5 keep it under because this allows for an unlock which greatly increases value

Jailbreaking may increase value a little, but if you get installous on the iphone it will be worth even more.
    Installous is illegal to use, but its not illegal to install to your iphone ^^

As far as Siri goes, you have to pay for a server or use your own i4s. So having Siri might increase it, but being able to use Siri is the question

Gl selling that, the box and accessories add value :D

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. All else equal it decreases it's value since it's a used phone to begin with.

5. Ali. macrumors member

Another situation aside from preserving an unlock that comes to mind would be if you were selling it to someone who has knowledge about jailbreaking or a developer; you could fetch a higher price if you have SHSH blobs saved for previous iOS firmwares.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I always sell my device with the option of jailbroke or not. Since it's free I don't consider it a money maker. Unlock is a much bigger deal since it allows the buyer many more options. Jailbreaking in it's self isn't a big deal and can even lesson the desire for the device.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Jailbreaking only adds to the value if the current firmware can not be jailbroken.