Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livewhereveryouwant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
1. DO you use one?

2. Can you recommend one?

3. Does it help to reduce the likelihood of the keyboard problem?

thanks

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Considering how thin macbooks are, can you even close it with anything inbetween screen and keyboard?

Also, if "yes", I would still be wary of marks or potential wear on said screen with a foreign object squished right up next to it...

Reactions: Newtons Apple

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Nobody will be able to answer your questions. There have been no studies of how likely a keyboard failure is, lest of factors that might I crease or decrease it.

The only think we know is that keyboard covers are likely to damage your laptop due to pressure they exhibit on the display.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
1) No. I don’t because it isn’t designed to be used with a keyboard cover

2). No. For the same reason as above.

3). Yes/No/Maybe so.

So as other users have commented, we don’t know the official cause of the issue, but it seems possible that it isn’t just crumbs that cause the failure, heat may also play a part in the degradation of the key materials and thus lead to key failure.

A keyboard cover will protect from crumbs, but likely will damage your screen because there is literally almost no space between the keys and the screen when closed; you’ll likely damage the anti reflective coating on the screen. Also, while the keyboard doesn’t have venting anymore, putting a rubber keyboard protector likely will kind of insulate and trap more heat in your machine, leading to higher temps and (if the rumors are true), lead to faster key failure from heat.

If you always leave your computer open, then this could help prevent crumbs from getting in, but otherwise I’d really suggest against it.

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It would probably help keep dust and debris out of the keyboard, but the case I bought for mine came with one and I tried it and it was horrible to type on. Your experience might differ, but it definitely wasn't for me.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i used one, closing screen on it no problem, also have a screen protector, only problem i ran into was the laptop tends to get hot from the cover.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2017
I used one with a screen protector, but to be honest, it kinda ruins the whole experience + the thing gets really hot... I personally rather enjoy it and get a new one once it breaks down...

Reactions: Painter2002

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There is so little clearance between the tops of the keys and the surface of the display, that just about anything you put "on the keyboard" is going to contact the display when the lid is closed.

This is not a good thing.
The surface of the display has a VERY THIN "anti glare" coating that is sprayed on, and contact with just about anything seems to damage it.

I wouldn't use a keyboard cover for that reason...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.