Does a Keyboard Cover help reduce butterfly kb issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by livewhereveryouwant, Jul 11, 2018.

1. livewhereveryouwant macrumors newbie

1. DO you use one?

2. Can you recommend one?

3. Does it help to reduce the likelihood of the keyboard problem?

thanks

2. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

No. They are horrible. It may, I am not sure.

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Considering how thin macbooks are, can you even close it with anything inbetween screen and keyboard?

Also, if "yes", I would still be wary of marks or potential wear on said screen with a foreign object squished right up next to it...

4. leman macrumors G3

Nobody will be able to answer your questions. There have been no studies of how likely a keyboard failure is, lest of factors that might I crease or decrease it.

The only think we know is that keyboard covers are likely to damage your laptop due to pressure they exhibit on the display.

5. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

1) No. I don’t because it isn’t designed to be used with a keyboard cover

2). No. For the same reason as above.

3). Yes/No/Maybe so.

So as other users have commented, we don’t know the official cause of the issue, but it seems possible that it isn’t just crumbs that cause the failure, heat may also play a part in the degradation of the key materials and thus lead to key failure.

A keyboard cover will protect from crumbs, but likely will damage your screen because there is literally almost no space between the keys and the screen when closed; you’ll likely damage the anti reflective coating on the screen. Also, while the keyboard doesn’t have venting anymore, putting a rubber keyboard protector likely will kind of insulate and trap more heat in your machine, leading to higher temps and (if the rumors are true), lead to faster key failure from heat.

If you always leave your computer open, then this could help prevent crumbs from getting in, but otherwise I’d really suggest against it.

6. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

People have used keyboard covers on MacBook Pros for years without issue. Current ones are very thin and won’t impact your display.

A recent article with some examples is here:
    https://m.imore.com/best-keyboard-covers-macbook-pro

If you’re likely to get food or dust or pet hair in your keyboard, why not use a cover?

7. Mockletoy macrumors regular

Mockletoy

It would probably help keep dust and debris out of the keyboard, but the case I bought for mine came with one and I tried it and it was horrible to type on. Your experience might differ, but it definitely wasn't for me.

8. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

i used one, closing screen on it no problem, also have a screen protector, only problem i ran into was the laptop tends to get hot from the cover.

9. Sebastian79 macrumors regular

Sebastian79

I used one with a screen protector, but to be honest, it kinda ruins the whole experience + the thing gets really hot... I personally rather enjoy it and get a new one once it breaks down...

10. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

There is so little clearance between the tops of the keys and the surface of the display, that just about anything you put "on the keyboard" is going to contact the display when the lid is closed.

This is not a good thing.
    The surface of the display has a VERY THIN "anti glare" coating that is sprayed on, and contact with just about anything seems to damage it.

I wouldn't use a keyboard cover for that reason...