Does a laptop really be proper for working on lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by feyn-man, Nov 13, 2007.

1. feyn-man macrumors regular

As the macbook manual said: Wait a few seconds until the sleep indicator light starts pulsing before you move your MacBook. Moving your computer while the hard disk is spinning can damage it, causing loss of data or the inability to start up from the hard disk.
    If I put the laptop on lap, will the hard disk be damaged?

BTW, does the mighty mouse work well? I found some nagetive saying about the mouse. So I'm hesitate now

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

No sudden movements or jerks and you will be fine.

Put it on your lap. Put it on your desk. Move it around. I carry my notebook like a waiter does when carrying a meal when I wish to change seating while my disk is spinning.

3. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I do video editing on my MBP (Final Cut) w/mine on my lap... just dont jump around while its there and you'll be fine. no sudden movements, no strong jerks in one direction and you wont damage anything. But all the new MB/Ps have a SMS (sudden motion sensor) that immediately moves arm of the hard drive when it senses a sudden motion so it doesnt cause a head crash, which is the only reason i feel comfortable doing that.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I love my mighty mouse...

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If you read through the web, most companies refer to laptops as 'notebooks' or something similar. A search on Apple's site for "laptop" brings up the MacBook and MacBook Pro, but neither of their pages mention the word.

This is because of heat issues, people dropping them, etc. Basically, a 'laptop' is more of a 'portable computer' that, if you like to live on the edge, can be used on your lap.

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I use mine almost exclusively on my lap without problems.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

x2

8. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

As the need for speed increases, so does the temperature. Notebooks, formerly Laptops, can cause burns to your legs if placed on your lap.

In order to prevent damage to your Notebook computer due to heat build-up, you should place it on a hard surface (desk, book, wood or tile floor) as opposed to a soft surface (lap, pillow, bedspread, carpet).

The same would hold true for the MagSafe cube.

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

I use my laptop on my lap all the time but i use my game of clue box as a heat shield and flat surface lol... i also love my bt mighty mouse

10. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Me too, except for when the downward scrolling stops working. I think that they fixed it recently, though.

11. rubbersoul macrumors newbie

rubbersoul

I used to love my mighty mouse but the trackpad w/ multitouch was so much faster on my macbook

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

Trackpad doesn't have multitouch in the strictest sense of the accepted definition of the word. Not to say that the trackpad doesn't rock though... cuz it does, out loud

13. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

unless they've fixed it since August, then no, its still an issue. Plus I get possessed mouse scrolls across the screen!

14. fireworkz macrumors newbie

I read some health issues re: laptop use in lap... for men ..

Look out chaps, Dr Yefim Sheynkin from the state university of New York at Stony Brook has warned that young men should perhaps limit the use of notebooks on their laps.

".....There will be 60 million laptops in the United States and 150 million worldwide by next year, Sheynkin says. Laptops have become more popular with teenage boys and young men due to continued improvements in power, size, and price, and are currently outselling desktop computers, he adds......Sheynkin warns that years of heavy laptop use "may cause irreversible or partially reversible changes in male reproductive function :eek:....."

:D:D:D:D:D:D

15. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

One of my grade school teachers always told us this but I never believed her... guess she was right.