Does a Mac need to be behind a router for security?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by powerbook911, Aug 10, 2007.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Hi.

My macs are always behind my Airport Express. However, I'm going to be going on a trip. I want to take my airport express to use at the hotels.

However, I want to be able to access my mac via iphone remote.

If I put my Mac directly to the DSL, would it create as serious security issue? I'd also have 2 ports open for iphone remote.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'd be wary of doing that, but as long as you have a strong password (letters, numbers, and $y/\/\B@|s, etc), turn on the firewall, and ONLY open the ports you need, it should be all right for a time.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is a bad idea unless you're really confident that you know what you're doing (good software firewalls, read up on current exploits, use really strong passwords). My advice would be to go get a cheap-o router at your local store, or order one if you have time. NAT keeps the bad stuff out, and most of the simple routers are going to have a function to poke a hole in the firewall for remote logins.

(However, that itself isn't very safe; So use strong encryption and passwords - Personally I only open SSH up incoming and tunnel traffic over it).

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well maybe I'll leave my AE at home then. I just really like using it in the hotel rooms than being tied to a desk.

Thanks for helping me make a better decision.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Or how about getting a second one? Or maybe the base station rather than the express for home use? I suppose it all depends on how often you find yourself traveling or in a hotel.