Does a Mac need to be defragged or cleaned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michael31986, Nov 26, 2012.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

im just wondering if there is something in settings to clean it up or defrag.

2. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

oh ok! cause i feel like with the old os that came with my macbook pro it loaded faster, but with the newest one it takes longer to load up. i got my macbook last year in march i believe,

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the performance tips that simsaladimbamba posted. That should help. With rare exceptions, Macs don't need to be defragged, "maintained" or "cleaned". OS X takes care of itself.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i read that. im just wondering why it seemed to load faster with my older os.

5. simsaladimbamba

Because Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is in many ways more responsive than Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. In order to avoid slow startup times, you could use the SLEEP feature of Mac OS X.

6. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Generally, OSX does a really great job of keeping up the drive performance. There really isn't much you need to do. It doesn't hurt once in a while to run the "repair disk" and "repair disk permissions" from the recovery partition. You can also download a free app called Onyx that does a good job.

If you are running Bootcamp with Windows, then you can defrag that partition from within Windows, but only do this if you are running a regular mechanical platter hard drive. If you have a Solid State Drive, then defragmenting is not necessary and supposedly can damage the drive as well. So don't do it if you have a SSD in your machine.