Does a MBP use less electricity with the screen brightness down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machspeed5, Sep 29, 2009.

1. machspeed5 macrumors member

(Electricity as in AC power.) I've been using the brightness controls (F keys) to turn off the screen at night and leave my computer running. I just assumed it uses less AC power that way and I'm saving some electricity but I don't know a lot about electricals to confirm my theory. Does anyone know?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

When the screen is turned down the computer is using less electricity. It's common math, when the screen is dimmed, there it's not as if the computer uses the left over power to make a black image.

3. mattais macrumors member

in anything electrical if you turn something off or down then it uses less power

4. phoobo macrumors regular

5. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

What I am wondering is if when the screen is inverted ( Control + Option + Command + 8 ) does it help to save energy since the white windows that would be open are now black.

I love this feature in terms of prying eyes on flights, really messes with people.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It's the backlight that uses the majority of a LCDs power, dark colors doesn't use less power then bright ones on a LCD

7. dennis123123 macrumors member

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're truly worried about electricity consumption of your computer while you're sleeping, why not simply put it to sleep by shutting the lid or shutting it down.

You won't lose any of your work or currently open applications if you put it to sleep, and the only thing that'll be using electricity is your RAM, which barely requires 5W.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...slightly, turn it off if you want to save the most energy...