Does a new hard drive void my warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdao, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sdao macrumors 6502

I currently have a 2.4ghz MBP with a 160gig internal hard drive, however I have just under 10 gigs of room left on it. I'm looking for more space.

Would it void my 3 year apple care warranty if i installed a new HD? I was thinking about this one for my mbp

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD3200BEVT/

As far as I know, that is the largest compatible hard drive currently available for the MBP.

Also, does anyone know if swapping my current 2gigs (2x1 sticks) for 4 gigs (2x2 sticks) would void my apple care warranty as well?

I was looking at these

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

to everyone that replies, thank you for your help :)

2. tekulvi macrumors member

Im not really sure about the MBP....but I confirmed with 3 different genuises at the genius bar that on the macbook, it does not void the warrentee. They wont cover the drive if it craps the bed...but the rest of it is covererd.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Replacing the RAM does not void your warranty but replacing the hard drive will. Also, if you wait until the end of the month, Toshiba are releasing a 9.5mm 500GB SATA notebook hard drive.

4. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately it will, you have to break several stickers to access the drive, so Apple will know you've opened it up.

RAM is a user replaceable part, but I'm not sure a MBP can address 8GB of RAM :confused:

5. abrooks macrumors 6502a

The MacBook has a user replaceable hard drive, the MacBook Pro does not.

6. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

Yes if you replace your drive yourself it will void your Applecare on your MBP. I know that you have to have a Apple authorized service center do the swap out.

I'm looking to do the exact same hard drive upgrade. My question is if I take my MBP to my local Apple store, can I pay them to swap the hard drives?

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I think they wanted to go from 2gb (1x1) to 4gb (2x2).

8. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

When I upgraded the HD on my MBP, there were no stickers to 'break' during the process.

And no, it won't invalidate your warranty unless you break something in the process.

9. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

That is simply not true.

10. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Where did you hear that?

11. GAS macrumors regular

Em...yes it is. It's 100% true.

12. tekulvi macrumors member

3 Geniuses and one random phone call to an Apple store to speak to a technician all say that it is indeed true on Macbooks only.

13. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I assure you it definately does invalidate your warranty!

14. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

And I can assure you that spiffy empty undocumented statements like this won't make me believe you any stronger than in your first spiffy empty undocumented post.

WHERE does it say it will 'definately' void your warranty? There are no stickers, not nothing. If the MBP needs to get a repair of any kind, swap the original back and no one (not even the so called geniuses) can tell the difference.

15. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

No, it's not. And there's an entire bar of Mac Geniuses who will back me up, as I posed that question to them (5 of them) before installing my hard drive. They each said that as long as nothing is broken in the process, it's perfectly fine. And while it isn't user-friendly (due to the number of screws and position of the HD in the case), it is indeed 'user-replaceable', although they encourage using an Apple-approved tech.

But hey, if it's too hard for you then be my guest.;)

16. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

I'm still waiting for someone to post a pic of their sad-face stickers, hehe!:p

17. GAS macrumors regular

So by this logic, the screen is user replacable as is the processor, it can be done, it's just more difficult.

By the way, I intend to replace my hard drive anyway, it seems pretty easy.

18. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

And by your logic not even the battery should be removed. Your proof isn't solid whatsoever. BTW, this argument is all over these forums and the general consensus is they are meant to be user-replaceable and won't invalidate Applecare. When my hd went bad (the original) I let Apple take care of it, then the following month threw in a larger one. The original is set aside for safe-keeping.

Replacing the HD is easy as long as you keep the screws in the right place. Just use ifixit.com's video for a complete how-to. It took me 20 minutes, most of the time spent on the floor looking for a dropped screw. The SATA hd's are so easy to replace it's not funny.

I'm still waiting for pictures of those 'stickers'.

19. GAS macrumors regular

I never claimed there to be any stickers. And by my logic, user-replaceable parts include parts that apple intended the user to replace, i.e. the ram and the battery. I don't think they intended for us to remove 20 odd screws, disconnect ribbon cables etc.

I agree it shouldn't void the warrenty, but apple doesn't class the hard drive in the macbook pro as a user-replaceable part.

20. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

I decided to call apple care after receiving numerous different replies.

The apple care representative that I spoke with told me a few things.
    1. As long as nothing is broken in the replacement process, the warranty isn't voided.
    2. If you do have to send your laptop in for service, you would be required to swap the drive back to the original one.
    3. The same stands for RAM, as long as nothing is damaged during the process, you are fine

I asked her if my best bet was to buy the drive and the ram and make an appointment at my local apple store for a Genius to install them. She said that is by far my best bet.

If you guys have any other questions, let me know.

21. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if you have to put the original drive back in for a MacBook if sending in for repair? And, if so, does it have to have Leopard, etc. on it? I swapped out my MB drive, but use the old drive for a portable. I want to wipe off the old Leopard install, to make more room for data.

22. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have the old drive out of my MBP with a Tiger install on it. If anything ever goes south the old drive goes in before the machine goes out.

FWIW, a friend of mine is an Apple Store employee, and they checked on the "user installable parts" question on my MBP and swapping the hard drive. The response was the same as the previous post - as long as nothing is broken as a result of the swap and if it's sent in for repair it has the original parts installed, all is well.

MacDann

23. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Just wanted to be controversial and say..
    "You have read the manual haven't you?"

"Your MacBook Pro does not have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory. If you need service, contact Apple or take your MacBook Pro to an Apple Authorized Service Provider. You can find more information about the MacBook Pro through online resources, onscreen help, System Profiler, or Apple Hardware Test."

Also if you read your warranty

Apple does not warrant that the operation of the product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the product’s use.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes; (c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple; (d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorised Service Provider; (e) to a product or part that has been modified to significantly alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; or (g) if any Apple serial number has been removed or defaced."

This suggests Apple wouldn't look to kindly on it, however, I know they also allow people to modify with written permission. As seen here
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

My suggestion would be to proceed carefully, it's not that hard a job. If your really worried try to get written permission not just "well some guy i spoke to on the phone said it was o.k."

And if your really really really worried. Bring it to the Apple store and pay for an upgrade. They don't always allow you to bring in 3rd party upgrades, 3 geniuses refused to put 3rd party ram in a mini. (swines) But they will do it and it won't void that warranty.

24. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

I just phoned the Apple Yorkdale Store here in Toronto.

The official word from their genius bar is that they WILL NOT install 3rd party hardware in my laptop.

It seems like I will have to install the new HD and RAM myself.

Has anyone here done it themselves? I have never replaced the RAM or HD of a laptop computer and am a bit concerned with the difficulty of doing so.

25. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

You ought to be able to find an apple authorized repair center that can do the install for you if you don't want to do it yourself. I had my 320gb installed by one today.