Does a new i5 or i7 MBP run cooler than a C2D?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bking1000, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I have a 13" 2.26GHz C2D MBP with 8GB RAM and a 750GB 5400 RPM WD HDD. Ever since I moved from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, the fans are a pretty constant run. In general, it runs pretty hot. I do use it a lot in clamshell mode, which I'm sure has something to do with it.

Just curious, as the laptop approaches 4 years old, I was thinking of upgrading for better performance on some apps like Lightroom.

Would a new i5 or i7 13" MBP running a single spinning platter HDD for some reason run cooler than my current MBP? I'm thinking here maybe the CPU wouldn't have to peg to 100% as much as it does now?

Alternatively, what if I swapped out the optical bay on my current MBP for an SSD to host the OS and apps. Would that a) improve performance, and b) help it to cool off a bit, since it wouldn't (perhaps) need to access the spinning platter as much?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yes, the new processors are more power efficient and smaller (architecture-wise). These changes inherently bring lower heat generation under comparable levels of load. Also, as you said, the processor will not be under as heavy of a load in proportion to its maximum performance, so the total heat generation should be lower.

An SSD won't produce noticeable heat benefits, but it will increase performance dramatically. IMO, it's the first upgrade to perform on a machine.

3. Doward macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you do with it. The C2D is VERY power efficient.

Honestly, you are going to get a lot of heat unless you increase the efficiency of removing the heat from the CPU (regardless of CPU model). The MBPs are unfortunately notorious for improper application of the heatsink compound, as well I've found that the machine work on the heatsink itself is incredibly poor.

Personally, I'd snag something like iStat Menus, and see what your max CPU temp is.

If it is over 95C under steady full load (I'm not talking a quick spike to 97C, then comes down, for instance) - then you will benefit from heatsink compound re-application.