Does a photo need a "point" in order to be posted?

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
This puzzling question was brought to my attention recently when I posted a couple of 'art' shots from a recent shoot. I thought that the 'Picture Gallery' was an appropriate place.

However I was dismayed to find the thread was immediately put in the Wasteland and I was told the reason was that "it didn't have a point". I was under the impression that a piece of art is its own point.

If the picture gallery is only for photos "that have a point", shouldn't there be a separate gallery for photos that represent members' art that don't have any "point" other than to stimulate the imagination?
 

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
1,908
1
I saw many people posting pictures of the view from their home or the weather*cough Chundles cough*. And these were not deleted. Link me to your wasted thread, and I'll see if I think it should be deleted, though MO won't matter much;)

Just looked in Wasteland. You took a picture of a pair of red shoes, and what appears to be your thigs. WTF? Yes, I believe your pics were pointless.
 

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hi,

Yes you miss the point of this thread. I'm asking whether an 'art' photograph, should, 'have a point'. And if photos need to have a point. Should we have a separate gallery where members can show their work, even if the shot itself has no other point than to be a piece of art.

As a separate issue, what sort of 'point' would you suggest that photos, 'have'.

I suppose I could have said they were shot with low level tungsten light at a slow shutter speed with bounced fill, but that wasn't the point though. The only point I can think of is that they were just a piece of art that I thought some people might like to see, interestingly the shoes have been downloaded 31 times, which is a lot more than most of my attatchments.



(The shoes shot was inspired by ELO's El Dorado LP cover, which in turn is inpired by the Wizard of Oz).
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,966
375
Josias said:
I saw many people posting pictures of the view from their home or the weather*cough Chundles cough*. And these were not deleted. Link me to your wasted thread, and I'll see if I think it should be deleted, though MO won't matter much;)

Just looked in Wasteland. You took a picture of a pair of red shoes, and what appears to be your thigs. WTF? Yes, I believe your pics were pointless.
You got a problem with my pictures Josias m'boy? :p

That's why I post in "Photo Gallery" not "Digital Photography" and the images are never offensive.

Show us what you mean dogbone, I didn't see the thread.
 

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Chundles, it's in the wasteland (near the top), it's called 'The Red Shoes'.

BTW, the Ashes tickets have come way down in price. There's a chap selling silver tickets to one of the ODI's with England for less than face value. I might pick up a pair for $150.
 

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
1,908
1
Chundles said:
You got a problem with my pictures Josias m'boy? :p

That's why I post in "Photo Gallery" not "Digital Photography" and the images are never offensive.

Show us what you mean dogbone, I didn't see the thread.
No, I just have enough nature around here already:D

I'm sorry to rack down on your Wizard of Oz shoes dogbone, but I plainly think it was a pointless posts. I dunno about the rules for new threads, but I think yours was lacking a proper reason to be posted.
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,966
375
dogbone said:
Chundles, it's in the wasteland (near the top), it's called 'The Red Shoes'.

BTW, the Ashes tickets have come way down in price. There's a chap selling silver tickets to one of the ODI's with England for less than face value. I might pick up a pair for $150.
Already got mine, going to day 2 of the Sydney test.
 

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Josias said:
...but I think yours was lacking a proper reason to be posted.
Yes, I understood you the first time. But I'm still asking, what type of 'point' must an art photo, 'have'? I'm struggling with this concept.

Is not a piece of art it's own point?

Chundles said:
Already got mine, going to day 2 of the Sydney test.
Well done. Day two should be good. Does that mean you made the 4am trip to Penrith?
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,966
375
dogbone said:
Yes, I understood you the first time. But I'm still asking, what type of 'point' must an art photo, 'have'? I'm struggling with this concept.

Is not a piece of art it's own point?



Well done. Day two should be good. Does that mean you made the 4am trip to Penrith?
No, the 6am trip to Wollongong - Penrith's a few hours away.

My mate scored them from Ticketek online and messaged me that he had them just as I got to the top of the line and the ordering system crashed. I was 10th in line and the guy ahead of me was only able to get single tickets. My mate got four together.
 

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I got the 4am train from the Mountains to Penrith. Stood outside for 4 hours freezing. There was only 8 people in front but all the good tickets were sold out by the time I got to the front. However I did get some tickets with obstructed views. After I got home though I decided I didn't want them because they were so crap, and I'd spent so many hours trying to get them, so, I'm ashamed to say, I sold them instead.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
168
dogbone said:
Is not a piece of art it's own point?
I don't think that's the point at all. You're annoyed that it was wastelanded... and yet seem to want to make a public spectacle of your annoyance.

Many of us here have also had what they thought were valuable and interesting threads wastelanded, yet are content to deal with the issue in private with the moderator or administrator in question.

Personally, I wouldn't have wastelanded it but am curious to what your motivation was. Elevating what seemed fairly mundane photographs — in my opinion — to your designated status of 'art' without providing any written background about the shots, or at the very least, initiating and inviting a discussion seems slightly futile and somewhat obscure, possibly provoking unwanted scrutiny.
 

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
That's a fair comment iBlue, my reason is that I really don't understand why it was wasted, and I am hoping to avoid this in the future. So I'm trying to find out why. I did take it up with a mod but I was told that it had no point. Which didn't leave me any the wiser.
 

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
technicolor said:
You probably would of got some love in the photog forum...just a thought:)
You mean the 'Digiatl Photography' section? I did consider that but I thought it seemed more technical. You know threads about cameras and stuff.

I have selected two more shots from the same shoot that I feel are suitable for posting and I will put up a new thread with some explanation to go with it. ;)
 

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
7,923
0
Canberra, Australia
Perhaps it wasn't so much "point", as it was context.

I don't have any idea what the mod was thinking, but perhaps it was just that "photos from a recent shoot" didn't give it enough of a context - i.e why the shoot took place, what it was for, asking what people thought of the photos - that sort of thing anyway.