Does a restore completely eliminate personal information?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by someguy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I am probably selling my iPad today, and so to wipe it clean, I used the restore option in iTunes and downloaded the latest software upgrade. Now, when I power on the iPad, it wants to be set up, which is great, but iTunes also wants me to name the iPad, and is suggesting my first name.

Stupid question, but how does it know my name? Where is that information coming from? The computer I'm doing this on has not had iTunes on it before today, and I have not logged into my Apple account or anything.

I just want to be sure I'm not handing over anything with my person information still inside it. :)

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It's iTunes that is pulling your name. The iPad has no personal information on it. You're good to go :)

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the quick response!

4. number84 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.862 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/332)

I just sold my iPad and also thought it was strange cuz the App Store still remembered my apple ID even after a restore. Very odd. Luckily I sold to a friend so not too worried but I wonder why it just doesn't clear everything!!!

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It does clear everything. When iTunes prompts for you to name the device, it's getting the name from your computer user account information or your iTunes account name info.