Does a Signal Booster help with ATT/Iphone reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rockymthi, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Rockymthi macrumors newbie

I continue to get only 2-3 bars at my home with ATT on Iphone 3gs/16gb. Has anyone used one of these Signal Boosters (cost from $200-300) and do they work? Or if I upgrade to an IPhone4 with more memory, will it make a difference?

I looked into the Microcell but this is not a solution as you need an internet connection to use it.

2. bigddybn macrumors member

Yes a properly designed and installed BDA can help. You will likely not get that for 300 dollars.

2-3 bars should be more than enough though.

3. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm looking for a similar solution, but for the office. Where I sit for 9 hours a day, I get about 1/4 of one bar on AT&T. Frequently, it will say 'no service'. Can't get a much deader zone than that.

4. Orion126 macrumors regular

A signal repeater is much cheaper...I've seen some go for about $120.

5. Rockymthi thread starter macrumors newbie

Any names of ones for $120, as I can't find any on the web/Amazon/BestBuy?

6. Orion126 macrumors regular

Sorry but it looks like prices have gone up.

Not sure how strong the AT&T Microcell signal is but maybe you can set it up with a neighbor who does have AT&T and pay him or add him to the list of authorized users?

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol how would upgrading to iPhone 4 with more memory help?

8. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

FYI, I bought a microcell from AT&T and they refused to enable it because of some problem with the 911 service in my area so I bought a zBoost YX545 and it worked very well. For two years I wasn't able to hold a call with the iPhone in my house for more than 5 minutes and usually kept the sim card in my old Fuze because it actually worked. I got the YX545, stuck the antenna in the attic, put the unit on the 2nd floor of the house and had 4 or 5 bars throughout the house and outside for quite a distance. Data speed improved, I was able to make and hold calls and when you ditch AT&T, it works with a bunch of other carriers. I finally sold it when AT&T decided to enable the microcell which, truth be told, does work better. The zBoost was a tad pricey but, like most other things, you get what you pay for.

9. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Has anyone had any experience with the signal boosters available to install in your car? (I travel a lot)

10. Rockymthi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your experience. The challenge I have with Microcel, it that it requires an internet connection which I cannot get as I am in a dial-up area only- no cable, no DSL.- Thus the reason for a functioning IPhone for calls and internet.

QUOTE=mgamber;11933758]FYI, I bought a microcell from AT&T and they refused to enable it because of some problem with the 911 service in my area so I bought a zBoost YX545 and it worked very well. For two years I wasn't able to hold a call with the iPhone in my house for more than 5 minutes and usually kept the sim card in my old Fuze because it actually worked. I got the YX545, stuck the antenna in the attic, put the unit on the 2nd floor of the house and had 4 or 5 bars throughout the house and outside for quite a distance. Data speed improved, I was able to make and hold calls and when you ditch AT&T, it works with a bunch of other carriers. I finally sold it when AT&T decided to enable the microcell which, truth be told, does work better. The zBoost was a tad pricey but, like most other things, you get what you pay for.[/QUOTE]

11. Orion126 macrumors regular

Have you thought about Verizon iPhone? If you complain to ATT enough you may be able to get out of your contract for free.

12. Rockymthi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I thought about Verizon but it doesn't seem to make sense to committ to another 2 year contract on a Iphone4/3g when it will be outdated in 5 months or so. But if I can't boost the signal with ATT, then July I will be with Verizon and IPhone 5 (which should be a dual 3g/4g phone and with GSM and CDMA??