All iPads Does a stylus work well on the iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alundra, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Alundra macrumors regular

One thing I hated about the mini was that stylus didnt work well. Compared to the Ipad 2 or 4 you had to press really hard to get pressure recognition on the Ipad mini.

I hope the pressure response is more like the Ipad 2 and 4.

Has anyone tried it yet?

2. ab2c4 macrumors member

I have a Wacom Bamboo stylus that works well on other devices but only works so-so on my air. I wish the screen on the air was a little more sensitive

3. loapp38 macrumors newbie

I recommend a bluetooth stylus if you are serious about note taking, it has palm rejection and also better response. The new Jot Script by adonit is a fine product for the matter.

4. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

That was my fear! The same happened to the mini which is a great tablet except for no retina and crappy pressure sensitivity to stylus.

Now I can either get the Ipad 4 and use the wcom bamboo stylus, or get the Ipad air and a wacom intuos creative bluetooth stylus...

I wish the Ipad had a "Samsung Note" like line with a dedicated stylus. I would be all over it.

----------

You mean this stylus?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adonit-Jot-...383425812&sr=8-1&keywords=jot+stylus+for+ipad

Is it bluetooth? How does it compare to the Wacom one?

5. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

The jot isn't blue tooth and I don't recommend it with the Air. If you guys don't like how it sounds tapping with your fingers, you're going to hate it with this stylus. I have one and I don't use it because the plastic at the bottom of the tip clicks against the screen.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

No, styluses don't work well with iPads. If you need that feature, consider getting a Microsft Surface.

7. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

What about the wacom intuos creative bluetooth stylus?

8. loapp38 macrumors newbie

You don't know what you're talking about, this is the jot script I'm talking about and it's Bluetooth sync, https://adonit.net/jot/script/. This is the new one no plastic sxxx.

All other stylus has big fat tip but not this one, it's basically the Wacom Bamboo with small tip 0.9mm and Bluetooth 4.0. Twice the price, but I think it worth it.

Review http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/28/jot-script-evernote-edition/

9. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Um ok I was replying mostly to the one that was linked from Amazon, not the blue tooth. It's not bad but is kind of expensive for something that needs a battery to function and when compared to the Samsung Note's pen. And that's considering the Note is more expensive than the base model of the Air.

10. loapp38 macrumors newbie

I agree there's nothing in the market yet to compete with the samsung note stylus. The price and cheap build quality, bad os design for tablet are the only thing holding me back. But I have nothing to complain about the s-pen.

11. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

I'm curious has anyone tried these stylus with art apps? I use SBP a lot, still on my original iPad, and I currently have a Air on layaway basically paid off but have been waiting to check reviews and see if the mini date is announced soon.

I'd hate to buy it and spend 75-100 on a stylus only to have it not function like I need. I'm mainly looking at the new intuos one and another I can't remember right now.

Is it the stylus or is it IOS7? Personally I've noticed that for some reason IOS7 doesn't seem to be as accurate/responsive to touch. Skip/FF, in app option buttons even hitting apps to open them I have to occasionally hit twice to work on my 5S.

Feels like hardware since 7.03 made it slightly better, but it creeps up from time to time.

12. VinoGrande macrumors member

I use a Bamboo with Paper. Works fine for me.

13. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

Have you tried it with any other art apps?

Art is basically the reason I'm looking to upgrade. Old 1st Gen crashes on most of my art apps. Lost a drawing awhile ago due to it crashing when I went to save, go figure.

14. yelnref macrumors member

I am using the Wacom Bamboo with an Air and it works well. I'm not doing art but only writing. And I'm using the soft nib, not the hard - I tried a hard nib and it was very unresponsive, having to press hard to register.

But I'm very pleased with how the soft nib Bamboo is working. I'm using Notes Plus which seems to have a better result than Notability or Note Taker HD (for me).

15. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

Good to know. I mainly do art but occasional use note apps for college classes.

16. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Between the Bluetooth wacom bamboo and the bluetooth jot script, which one is better?

17. krazykleo macrumors regular

I don't know anything about the bluetooth jot script, but I bought the Wacom Bamboo stylus with my Air and it works just fine with notability and no lag or anything for me.

18. ab2c4 macrumors member

I actually wrote Apple about six months ago asking them if they would ever consider including something like an s-pen with the ipad. Of course I didn't get a response. I have a Samsung Note 2 and the S-pen is wonderful, having something like that for the ipad would add a lot to the experience.

I also desperately wish they would include trace typing in ios. Trace typing is so much faster and easier than pecking away, one key at a time, when typing.

19. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

I completely agree with you. I also had a samsung note 2 and loved using the s pen. The ipad unfortunately has nothing like that.

20. wotfan macrumors newbie

21. Daniel Quell macrumors member

At the moment I'm looking at the wacom intuos creative stylus, but I'm still undecided.

If anyone has the wacom intuos creative stylus and an ipad air I would love to hear your opinion on it. :D

22. kaielement macrumors 65816

I don't really see people using styluses for their iPads so I don't think apple would develop one like the s-pen not very cost effective. But then what do I know. What would be nice is a better interface that maybe works well with third party ones.

23. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Awaiting delivery of this fine point stylus from kickstarter.

Nota fine point stylus.

Using a cheap rubber stylus with the Air works quite well for note taking. Better than with the iPad 3.

The kind of stylus you use makes a huge difference. I used an iFaraday till I wore it out. It would glide smoothly on the tablet and write with little pressure.