Does adding ram improve the fps rate while playing a game?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MattMK45, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MattMK45 macrumors regular

Basically the question is, does ram noticably improve the gaming performance and experience

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Only if you don't have enough RAM in the first place. If you do have enough, adding more will do nothing. And of course, what is "enough" depends on what you're playing.

--Eric

3. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

And if you're using integrated graphics that use system RAM as VRAM, then upgrading may allow your GPU to access more VRAM and improve gaming.

4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

1 gig to 2 gigs didn't seem to help WoW at all. But I only tested it in one area, staying still in the air over a city. But I guess it's recommended it 1 gig of ram anyway.

5. Cboss macrumors 6502

Upgrading from .5 GB to 1.5 GB was a huge improvement on a G5 iMac. While moving from 1 to 4 GB on a MacBook helped a few select programs.

I would definitely upgrade if I had less than 2 GB, otherwise I don't think you'll notice any difference.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

FPS is affected by many things. IMHO network is one of those things that is never thought of but it does affect it as well. Some most notable are:

Processor, Video card, sound card, memory,some software, which runs in the background, video card settings, system settings, operating system itself, and lastly, game settings will all FPS.

Simply adding RAM only tackles a small part of the overall symptoms that affect FPS. Am I saying it won't? Certainly not. But as someone put out, how much IS enough, 4g is plenty in most cases. Video Ram which usually can't be adjusted is based on your video card.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

FPS is mostly affected by the graphics card. Assuming you have ample memory, good processor and stable internet connection, graphics card is the answer.

8. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

awesome, thanks for the feedback, im just a casual gamer who indulges in about a half hour of urban terror a day. I have 512mb at the moment in my powerbook g4 and am hoping to upgrade to 533mhz ram which should make the system run sooo much faster and hopefully the games too

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The G4 does only support PC2700 DDR SO-DImms rated at 333mhz.
    533MHz ram would in most cases don't work, and if it would it will be running at 333mhz anyway. Upgrading to 1 or 2 GB would most likely improve performance tho

10. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh gosh, well the crucial website said that it did but it should still give me a significant performance boost

11. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Max out the RAM, it's pretty cheap nowadays and especially if you are running Leopard on the G4 every bit helps.