Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milky23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Hey there, I'm seconds away from clicking the "go" button on my 20" imac, but a quick question first: does the wireless mouse and keyboard count as a built-to-order option? I've heard that getting support on BTOs is a little trickier as far as getting replacements and stuff like that.

Thanks!

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I'm not sure if it counts as BTO or not, however, I've never heard of BTOs being any better/worse as far as support goes.

milky23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
I heard something to the effect that Apple is more apt to replace a DOA machine that is default, whereas they would merely repair a BTO machine.

I dunno, is this completely off-base?

Would there be ANY negative aspect whatsoever of adding the wireless keyboard and mouse to my iMac 20" which is otherwise all default? (i hate the mighty mouse.)

ted124b

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Yes adding bluetooth mouse does count the machine as BTO.. i know this because I purchased an imac at a local apple store and they told me if i wanted the bluetooth keyboard mouse option i would have to order online... i talked ot manager he let me walk out the door with imac and a bluetooth keyboard mouse and price adjusted the accesorries so it worked out....
differences in BTO and prepriced units are simple
if you buy at apple store they will return and replace a prepriced unit.....
they cannot do this if it is bto and you will have to go through applecare

hamster

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
I bought a Rev. B iMac (20") in June from an Apple store in Portland -- they had two 'versions' in the store. The was the 'standard' with the wired keyboard and mouse and the 'ultimate' with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The machines were identical otherwise (the Rev. B, as the current rev, came with bluetooth std.). I haven't had any problems so I can't comment on how Apple would treat this machine...

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
milky23 said:
I heard something to the effect that Apple is more apt to replace a DOA machine that is default, whereas they would merely repair a BTO machine.

I dunno, is this completely off-base?

Would there be ANY negative aspect whatsoever of adding the wireless keyboard and mouse to my iMac 20" which is otherwise all default? (i hate the mighty mouse.)

I heard that too. When I talked to apple on the phone, they told me BTO were not returnable at all. They told me the only ones I could return for a restocking fee are the base configs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.