Does AirDrop completely not work for you too?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmee, Aug 15, 2014.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I've sometimes been able to use AirDrop in the past but usually it just never works, today was yet another example of it not working.

I wanted to email a friend with some pictures of the Paul McCartney concert here in SF last night so I thought okay, I'll select the photos on my iPhone, hit share and then hit email. I did this and noticed that there's no email option. Okay, I'll just AirDrop my photos to my macbook and email them from there. So I hit the AirDrop button on my iPhone 5s and open up the AirDrop folder on my 2 week old practically brand new MacBook Pro. Guess what happened? A big bucket of nothing. My Macbook never detected my iPhone and my iPhone never detected my Macbook. I asked my friend to open AirDrop on his MacBook and many strange relationships happened:

1. I could see my friend on airdrop but he could not see me on airdrop
    2. my friend could see my iphone on airdrop, but my iphone could not see me

I'm a big fan of how usually Apple software quite literally just works, but in the case of AirDrop, it's probably the most buggy and therefore useless feature of OS X that I've had experience using. In the end I transferred my photos by syncing with iTunes, which is exactly how I would have done it 7 years ago.

2. thirdgen88 macrumors newbie

AirDrop between iOS and OS X isn't supported until Yosemite comes out.. Mac<>Mac or iOS<>iOS should work fine..

You could have also tried a shared Photostream..