Does AirDrop Require an Airport Base Station?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Creek0512, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

I tried to use AirDrop with a Computer-to-Computer network, however neither computer could see the other, so I'm wondering if AirDrop requires a base station or other router. I don't have internet at home so I don't have a need for a wireless router.

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

No it does not as I've demonstrated it on a wireless 4G hotspot card before.

3. Alameda, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

No, you don't need a special router, but AirDrop doesn't work on all Macs:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4783

At first you’ll think AirDrop isn’t working, or that it’s really, really slow. Even though you may be in the middle of a slew of Macs running OS X Lion that are all AirDrop-capable, your screen will still be blank. That’s because in order to use AirDrop, you must opt-in by selecting AirDrop from your favorites list in the Finder. Once another Mac does the same, you will see the user show up in the Finder. As soon as either of you navigate away from AirDrop in that Finder window, it will be turned off.
    -- http://gigaom.com/apple/lion-101-how-to-use-airdrop-and-alternatives-in-case-you-cant/
    Maybe that's the problem?

4. Creek0512 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, they both have AirDrop and I was in the AirDrop Finder window on both for at least a couple minutes as I went back and forth between the two computers, but neither computer ever showed the other computer with a bubble picture like it appears in the marketing, only itself at the bottom.

Good to know that they don't even need to be on a WiFi network to work. I guess I'll just try again when I get home tonight and see if it works.