Does AirPlay require an internet connection?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TwitchOSX, Aug 16, 2012.

1. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

I've got some questions about AirPlay. First off, I don't need an internet connection do I? Can I just have a wireless router hooked up to the computer and then say... an Apple TV connected to the TV and I can AirPlay movies that are in iTunes to the AppleTV and thus to the TV?

If so, can I also at that point AirPlay movies on my iPod (making the iPod also a remote for the movie) to the AppleTV?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I don't know this for sure, but based on the hardware requirements, my guess is you don't even have to have a router. I think this is a peer-to-peer protocol.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

I was wondering about that. So basically, if I have an iPod with stuff on it, I can stream it directly to an AppleTV without even needing any other computer or router or internet?

----------

Now why in the hell would you need an interweb connection to play protected content? Isn't it being on your iPod or iPad verification enough that you rented it or whatever from the iTunes store?

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Well, my guess is that they implemented a phone-home for the rentals to make sure you don't just set your clock backwards. Other than that , who the hell knows.