Does Airplayer display video from iOS devices running 4.3?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kahnyl, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I've installed Airplayer on both my mini and MacBook Pro and while they both show up as options on my iPhone for playback when I select either one nothing happens. I'm just guessing that it doesn't work with video sent from 4.3b3 devices. I can see nothing in the release notes about it.

Anyone know for sure?

2. to1986 macrumors regular

Ive jsut been testing the GM, and I can't get airplayer to work with it. As with your case it recognises my macbook, but it won't play anything. Must be incompatible, though I don't see why that would be the case!

3. Bstern287 macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?

4. to1986 macrumors regular

It seems she has replaced airplayer with Banana tv. Its the final version and its no longer free :-( $7.99, but looks good: www.bananatv.net

5. err404, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

I hate to sound negative, but I bought BananaTV last night and I'm sorry to say that it's not ready for prime time. The quality still feels "proof of concept". I'm finding it to be very unstable and buggy. Here is a quick list of issue that I have seen:
    Many youtube videos simply wont play and if a video fails to start it leaves a pop-up window on the screen.
    Very frequent crashing (I don't think it's last for three consecutive videos).
    Starting a video sometimes launches two windows (one with the selected video and the other with the prior video).

The main problem with the issues above is that they require accessing the machine to clear the error. The app effectively requires a VNC app on your iDevice to recover from the constant errors. The whole point of Airplayer is to avoid exactly this.

On a side note, I hate the icon. A generic banana on my menu bar? Sure it's cute, but it has no relevance to the app functionality. The Airplayer icon was much more elegant.

Edit: looks like I should have gone with AirServer instead...