Does Airport Express 802.11g work with Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hugof, Dec 29, 2014.

1. hugof macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm running a MacBook Air (mid-2011) with OS X Yosemite. I have both a 2G and 5G wireless network with my broadband provider's router.

I have an old Airport Express which I believe is an 802.11g (model no. 1088). I wanted to connect it for wireless music +/- to extend the network. However even with it in the same room as the router, it flashes orange and cannot be picked up by Airport Utility, even when reset (and even when I try switching from being on the 5G to the 2G network). After reading on various forums, I have installed Airport Utility 5.6.1 (via Corey J Mahler's website) but even that did not detect the Airpot Express.

Can I get my Airport Express to work, and if so how? Or is it simply now defunct?

Thanks,
    Hugo

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You will need to reset the Express by unplugging it from power, inserting a paper clip into the reset hole, plugging into power, and holding the reset button until the light flashes rapidly. You can then configure in AirPort Utility 5.6.1. If it does not appear then I recommend doing the configuration over Ethernet and not Wi-Fi.

3. hugof thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. Tried that but no luck. If I reset it before plugging in, it will be orange and flash green, then sit on orange constantly. If I reset it after plugging it, it eventually flashes orange rapidly then goes to green briefly, before going back to flashing orange. The airport utility (5.6.1) can never pick it up (on either of my wifi network frequencies).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You need to connect the Express to your router via an Ethernet cable to be able to configure it.

At the moment, you have reseted the Express, therefore it is in its default configuration : "create a wireless network" --> it cannot connect itself to your router via wifi --> it is not connected to your network --> you can't see it in Airport Utility.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Set it up using Ethernet.