Does airport express require a modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kauai, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I have an airport extreme but I'd like to extend the network upstairs. Two questions.... Will an airport express require a modem of its own? Also, will the Ethernet be just as fast as my airport extreme Ethernet? Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It sounds like you are trying to connect a computer to the express with ethernet, which is fine, and you won't need another modem for that. The speed won't be as great as if you were direct connected, but the wireless is at 802.11n speeds, which should be plenty fast for you, likely faster than your actual internet connection is.

3. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and no. I'd like to use the ethernet for those times when I need to download a big file. But otherwise I'd like to put one in my room so I can stream more easily and use the 5ghz band in my room/increase wifi n signal for my iPad and laptop. Does that make more sense? Thanks!

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Makes sense to me, however, the ethernet will not gain you any speed if you are plugging into the express, as the information is still transferred wirelessly, then through a wire. Only case where this would be useful is if you have a 802.11b card still (doubt it) or maybe a little bit of improvement over g, but not likely a whole lot. Using it as a signal extender for your iPad and streaming does make sense though.

5. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agh. Okay, that does make sense. Oh well.... I'll just have to keep plugging my laptop into the airport extreme when I download big files then... :p But I'll probably still get an airport express to make the signal faster upstairs....thanks!