Does Airprint support Wireless HP printers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reluttr, Nov 17, 2010.

1. reluttr macrumors member

I was wondering if iOS 4.2 supports printing through wifi and ethernet based HP printers.

The reason I ask is because walmart is going to have a pretty good deal on hp wireless printers and I figured now would be a great time to upgrade...assuming it works with Airprinting.

The ones I am eyeing is the HP Photosmart Plus Wireless Printer and the HP Officejet All-In-One Printer. The first being wifi the latter being ethernet based.

So does anyone know if these work under iOS 4.2?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only the new HP ePrint ones. Unless you have the Airport hack installed on your Mac/Windows, then you have to set the printer up as a shared printer then it'll work.

3. reluttr thread starter macrumors member

Even the wireless ones that work directly through the network? Well that's crappy.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Even those ones don't work with AirPrint.

5. reluttr, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

reluttr thread starter macrumors member

So if I get either of those printers... I will basically have to connect to it with my pc, and then install the airprint files from the itunes beta?

The crappy thing is that the photosmarts specs are almost identical to the new eprint version, both even can print from the web and ect. I suppose that the new HP printer software only has the feature.

Here's hopping the main reason apple is delaying iOS 4.2 is because they are perfecting the airprint client for mac/pc. Because, I haven't had any trouble with 4.2b yet other than the lack of airprint.

6. csixty4 macrumors regular

We don't know what the final release will look like. Right now, it only works with HP e-print printers or with printers shared on Macs that have a hack installed. But there's a chance...maybe a small one, but a chance...that the shared printer functionality is coming back in the final.

7. bri1212 macrumors 6502

What printers work with airprint

I personally only want to print directly to a printer, not through another computer, when will we know what computers air print will work with?

8. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I thought that the missing link was on OSX10.6.5 which is now finalised. If so we can be pretty certain that a change to 4.2 isn't going to make this work.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I got the D110a at best buy last week for $69 works directly with the iPad no Mac or pc required.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Same here. I have 4 wireless printers in my house all by HP. It's annoying to connect them through computer and then leave the computer on the whole time to be able to print from it.

11. imacken macrumors 65816

3rd party apps from Dataviz ('Print n Share', 'Printcentral') will print directly to ANY wireless HP printer as well as any networked printer.
    More versatile than Airprint, but you do have to get the files you want to print into the app.

12. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I presume that should read when will we know which PRINTERS Airprint will work with, as you say you don't want a computer involved.

The answer is, at the moment HP ePrint printers. They are the only ones available at the moment that advertise having the ability to work with Airprint. Others will follow, but right now those are the only ones.

13. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that Apple doesn't release a printing app that has at least generic drivers or a large spectrum to cover most printers for a fee. If I could direct print from the iPad, I'd pay at least $10 for that app without having to have some type of server run on another local machine.

I'm totally starting another thread about this. Hahaha

14. Ramsteiner macrumors member

There seems to be some misinformation in this thread. Just to help clarify the issue, I have an HP Photosmart printer, C7180, that is about three years old. It is wirelessly connected to my home network. I have 4.2GM-b installed on my Ipad and 10.6.5 on my Imac with Airprint enabled. The fix is well documented on 9-5 mac. I can print flawlessly from my Ipad. In fact I can select double sided printing from my Ipad. If I print a photo from my Ipad, the photo paper tray is automatically selected with appropriate printer settings. It's simple, it works, and it works well with ANY networked printer (on a Mac). Airprint is the answer on a Mac - you won't need a separate app. Can't speak for the windows folks.

15. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

You are printing through your computer to a shared printer on your network. If I'm not mistaken, that's the hack and even the betas that were out there. If you shut off the Mac, you will not be able to print. I was suggesting a direct to printer solution rather than through another device that is required to be on in order to print through.

16. Ramsteiner macrumors member

You are absolutely correct. Your Mac needs to be on, but if your Mac is off, how can you stream to Apple TV?
    :)

17. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

HAHAHAHAHAHA....Got me!!!! Good one.

Yeah, call me crazy but I got another more convenient device so I could turn the other one off. Now it seems I have to keep even more on. Haha.

18. MrMoore, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

MrMoore macrumors 6502

Well that's too bad :(

I just got my wireless HP Printer (B209), I am not going to get another one just to print occasionaly. Maybe I'll use the Printopia program for the rare needs for prints or try the hack if it works.

19. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wanted native printing so I bought a new printer with ePrint, the photosmart c410a. Can't wait!

20. reluttr thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know if the D110a is good printer? There is some mixed reviews, and tbh I would trust you guys more.

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just got one. I've had no issues yet. Prints direct from iPad and fast.

22. cas85 macrumors regular

why wait for Airprint? i have a wireless hp printer that's only connected to the network that i print to all the time using the hp iprint app. works perfectly.

23. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Because 4.2 gives apps a printing infrastructure so your printing possibilities are much greater than just printing a few types of documents. A printing app like the hp can't be as robust as to what is built into 4.2.

24. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

I have a D110A but can not get the iPad to recognize it to get it to print via airprint.

Do you mind sharing how you got it to work?

Thanks