Does Aluminum Scratch Easy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DaGreat01, Mar 2, 2011.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I really like the new SmartCase, but the only problem i see is that the back isn't protected. So my question is, how easily can aluminum get scratched up?

I use my iPad at school so it's always on a desk or in my book bag. The original case did a good job of protecting all sides.

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It can get scratched, and I think even the hinges on the SmartCover can scratch it too (though we will have to see about that one).

I would just skip getting the SmartCover if you are worried about scratches and instead get a third party case for it.

3. r2fa3l macrumors regular

the smartcovers look like the bumpers back in iPhone 4 time. in reality they're pointless. they somewhat look cool but really what's the point for them?

4. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Yeah, skip the smart cover and wait for a third party case.

The iPad 1 case was ugly but covered the front and back and had extra material in the corners. If it fell you were pretty well protected.

This new case hardly offers any protection from falls. Hell, the cover should protect the back as the aluminum will scratch more easily than the glass.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Aluminum not only scratches but also is soft and dents with ease. Forget the Apple cover and get a sleeve or case if you will be taking yours on the go. www.sfbags.com has great sleeves and cases. We use them in the field on a daily basis and they are perfect.

6. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Dang...that sucks. I really like the look of the new "cases". Simple while still showing off the hardware. And i liked the old case more because of it's usability than it's protectiveness.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

that smart cover looks lame and very un-apple like. Its UGLY. I also expect the rear of the iPad to get scuffed up fairly easily.

8. OSMac macrumors 65816

But do you really want another cover that is not smart?

9. nvcplus macrumors regular

They're not pointless. They offer protection, while still allowing you to retain a percentage of the actual design. I use a bumper on my iPhone. I have dropped it twice and not one scratch. It also protects the phone when it is on flat surfaces (the glass never touches the surface). It provides traction so it does not slip around on the surface as well.

We are not exactly sure how this new case will fare, but I am guessing it will do EXACTLY what I need it to do. It will cover the sensitive part of the iPad (the screen) while keeping the majority of the design exposed. It is easily removable when I want to have the iPad completely out of a case. And it acts as a stand when I need one.

As for protecting the back? The back is made of ALUMINUM. It does all the protecting of the inside in one of the best ways possible. What's that? You want to protect the precious aluminum from scratching so you can resell it later? THEN THIS CASE IS NOT FOR YOU GO BUY A GD TOUGH-CASE AND QUIT BITCHING ALREADY.

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

It's a protective screen cover on steroids AND a stand all-in-one!

11. iDabble macrumors regular

the aluminum on the old ones scratched pretty easily. the screen and back of my ipad were covered in small scratches. still though, i doubt i'll get a case for my ipad 2 - half the fun of apple products is the amazing design, i'd ratehr feel the solid materials in my hand and see the design and have a few scratches then cover it up in some ugly rubber/leather/whatever case.