Does AMD Radeon HD 6490M make my MBP looks like a cheap Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Black.Infinity, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Does AMD Radeon HD 6490M make my MBP looks like a cheap Apple

i do not know why apple says the new graphics improved 3x compare to old models but the test says something else

i am sure apple did run test on its mbp but are they really lie to people:eek::confused:

I already ordered it 2011 MBP base model

i am not gonna play games or animations just maybe medium graphics or video editing no 3D stuff just 2D

and regular things school work and browsing

and i do not see a reason to pay 300 $ ( Edu Discount ) for better GPU and a little bit better CPU

but i know one day i will sell this to upgrade it and does this GPU really bring its resale value down

and i know better tech will come in the future

but i just want to know your opinions:confused:

Thanks for reading my post:)

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No, not at all. The GPU is still a tad better than the older generation 330m, so you'll be fine. Plus, with what you use it for, it seems even the 13" MacBook Pro's GPU would work fine for you.

3. Black.Infinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Thanks i wish i could go with 13 and save money but there is no hi-res and no antiglare

and i realllly like the 15 look and size when i see all mbp beside each other

plus i ordered Hi-res Anti glare

4. Minesper macrumors newbie

Minesper

5. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Making decisions about computers based on resale value is dumb. Even in the best case, spending an extra $400 on the higher-end graphics might net you $100 after a couple of years. If you don't actually do anything with the computer that would require the graphics, you've wasted money.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, that may be true in certain games, COD4 and one other that I can't remember coming to mind.
    On paper however, the ATi card is quite a bit faster than the 330m, yet I think there are still a few driver kinks that need to be worked out.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The 6490 only has a 64bit memory bus, 1/2 what the 330M had.. No wonder it's slower, though with that said it's a far better choice for non-games and low-end design because it runs far cooler.

8. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

AMD is cheap. On paper doesn't mean jack against real world tests (besides standard benchmarks too) They're still horrible with buggy drivers and never support GL 100%. Nvidia is the way to go, although, $teve doesn't like them as much.

9. pryat macrumors newbie

When you're looking at graphics card memory, you need to take into account 2 things, the bus width and the type of memory. The older 330M has 128bit GDDR3. The newer 6490 has 64bit GDDR5. The difference between GDDR3 and 5 is GDDR5 has double the data rate, so actually the two cards have equal memory performance. On a side note, AMD/ATI has always had lower bus widths, yet maintained competitive performance.

Personally I suspect the 330M is faster since it has double the geometry and pixel shaders.

Well, nVidia is a bit of a gamble too. The last of the pre-unibody Macbook Pros suffered from prematurely dying 8600Ms. It took nVidia a long time to admit that their graphics chip was faulty. Although ATI is cheap(er), they have a better price/performance ratio than nVidia in general.