Does Amex still offer the extended warranty with Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trojita, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Trojita macrumors member

They supposedly used to, but nothing on their site says they do anymore.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty/faq.html

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

3. Atemporal macrumors newbie

Apple is the one who offers the warranty, not a third party. Therefore, under AMEX's terms, getting AppleCare (which extends Apple's original warranty) should effectively grant you 3 years of Apple coverage + 1 year of AMEX coverage for a total of 4 years.

4. minnus macrumors 6502

Even with your description, one would interpret that the extended applecare is NOT part of the original warranty. The extended apple care is an item that supplements the existing original warranty.

That is just my take on it. OP should ask Amex if an official answer is to be had.

5. Atemporal macrumors newbie

I'll agree that it's a tricky subject that the OP should definitely ask AMEX; I'm planning on asking AMEX myself in a few days when tax-free holiday hits so I can upgrade myself.

It's something that is definitely a battle over semantics, since AppleCare is an extension of the original warranty, and can therefore be argued also to be the original warranty, just extended. AppleCare+ is also 3 years, and AMEX will acknowledge any warranties under 5 years.

FWIW, my friend's 2008 MBP was repaired under AMEX coverage two months ago after his AppleCare ran out.

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You will get 4 years if computer and AppleCare are purchased with AmEx. Discover does the same with some of their cards. There are other threads about this in the forum. Unfortunately, the search function is down, so you may have to wait a little while, but there's lots of discussion/confirmation from others who purchased using AmEx.

7. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

I just called their extended warranty dept...

They do extend the warranty on top of the applecare warranty. Says so in their automated message.

800-225-3750

Yes, sounds like you can get 4 years of warranty coverage :)